Return to Baseball Leftovers

How to interpret silence in trade negociations?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How to interpret silence in trade negociations?

Postby gws226 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:06 pm

I have a more then a few "fair" trade offers on the boards in several leagues... all from active teams... who check rosters day in and day out.

In almost all cases I have not heard anything back from the owner regarding these offers.

In terms of trade negociations, how should I interpret their silence?
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:08 pm

Leave it up for a week then pull it..if they want it they will come back
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -117)

Postby bd3521 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:08 pm

From my experience silence usually means they are still considering it and/or awaiting someone in the offer to get hurt and steal them ;-)

Usually if the offer is horrible most teams will just shoot it down. So atleast you know it should be somewhat reasonable.
[url]http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm[/url]
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Madison » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:47 pm

#1. The could be considering it, or trying to decide if they want to do it or not.

#2. They are trying to come up with a counteroffer.

#3. They haven't seen it yet.

#4. They are one of the people who leave trades like that hanging just in case someone gets hurt. :-t
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby thehat » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:52 pm

If it's a Yahoo league, there's a chance they may have rejected it but that the rejection did not go through.

I have had this happen to me several times, where I include some text with a rejection, hit the button, and then get taken to the fantasy home page. When I go back to my team page, the trade proposal is still there.

My advice would be to e-mail the other owners you're negotiating with and see how they respond.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -14)

Postby chadlincoln » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:10 pm

I hate it when people don't respond to trades. I also hate it when people reject a trade and don't say why or at least send a counter offer. I'd cancel the trade then re-offer it. Sends an email again telling them it's a new offer.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -23)

Postby Madison » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:24 pm

chadlincoln wrote:I hate it when people don't respond to trades. I also hate it when people reject a trade and don't say why or at least send a counter offer. I'd cancel the trade then re-offer it. Sends an email again telling them it's a new offer.

I don't explain why I reject trade offers. Most trade rejections are self explanatory in the trade offer itself. Either it doesn't address a need of mine, or it just isn't a good deal. I don't send a counter offer unless I think the owner is a resonable manager (which I decide based off the offer they sent me) and I think a deal can be worked where both sides will be happy.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

In Yahoo,,

Postby pelotero » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:16 pm

If I want to stir up a little interest in a trade I usually make an offer kind of in THEIR favor and cancel it RIGHT A-WAY. That way the owner get's an e-mail and see's it in his e-mail but not in his Team Page. Usually he resends an offer and we go from there...

It's worked fo far for me..

Try it and see,,, ;-D
"Born with a glove"
pelotero
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MMoNeY24 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:20 pm

What are the offers you made?

I've left some really awful trades up just to piss the guy off because it was so bad, making him take it down himself so I don't have to assert pressure on my finger to press the cancel button.

Assuming they're pretty solid trade offers, just shoot the person/people e-mails and ask what's up.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -73)

Postby gws226 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:33 pm

MMoNeY24 wrote:What are the offers you made?

I've left some really awful trades up just to piss the guy off because it was so bad, making him take it down himself so I don't have to assert pressure on my finger to press the cancel button.

Assuming they're pretty solid trade offers, just shoot the person/people e-mails and ask what's up.

Here are all my initial proposals, I know they many aren't instant sells.... but

Give: B. Webb for Rolen (rolen owner has strong offense, 2 other 3b, weak pitching)

Give: P. Feliz for Berkman (owner has stacked OF, weak IF)

Give: Harang for Morneu (this one has been up for almost a week now) Owner has 6 1b, weak pitching

Give: Petitte for Wickman (owner has 5 solid closers) no SP

Give: A. Jones + Riveria for Tejada (owner has no closers, weak OF, and rollins riding the bench)

Counter-offer---> Owner offered me his Chavez + Tino for Bedard & Piazza. I already have Glaus & Ensberg & its catchers get 2 starts... so I countered Chavez + Mauer for Bedard & Piazza.

This deal I really don't care to make..... but I would like to hear something back.
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers