Return to Baseball Leftovers

How good is Melky?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How good is Melky?

Postby bcb » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:25 pm

So Cabrera has a 17 game hitting streak. He's playing regularly, and even hit leadoff yesterday. So how good is he?

Any predictions for the rest of the season? He's scoring runs, putting up some RBI, stealing bases, but has limited power. Could he be considered a top 20 OFer next year? Say, somewhere in the Curtis Granderson/Michael Cuddyer range? And more importantly, does he have a starting spot with the Yankees in 08?
bcb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How good is Melky?

Postby willy-t » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:40 pm

The organisation seems to love Cano and Cabrera. It's pretty clear they were prevented from getting Gagne and Tex because they wouldn;t part with either of these guys or Joba Chamberlain/Phil Hughes. They'll get him ABs next year again, and I would say he'll be inferior to Granderson, but better than Cuddyer. Probably top 20OF might be beyond him next year, but he's close.
willy-t
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -6)

Postby Richie Rich » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:06 pm

Melky will be starting next year and produce in every fantasy category...he has a cannon, makes assists, and plays a stellar OF as well...they would be silly not to continue playing him...he puts up stats in runs, hits, sb's, and mixes in the occasional HR and a decent amt. of rbi's...15-20 HR power IMO as he gets older.
C:Sandoval 1B:Teixeira 2B:Ramirez 3B:Huff SS:Rollins OF:Crawford OF:Markakis OF:Kemp U:Holliday U:Morneau B: Werth DL: Lowell
SP Billingsley Shields Verlander Lackey Romero Hughes
RP Cordero Bell Bailey Francisco
DL Dempster
Richie Rich
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby pangbones » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:13 pm

willy-t wrote:The organisation seems to love Cano and Cabrera. It's pretty clear they were prevented from getting Gagne and Tex because they wouldn;t part with either of these guys or Joba Chamberlain/Phil Hughes. They'll get him ABs next year again, and I would say he'll be inferior to Granderson, but better than Cuddyer. Probably top 20OF might be beyond him next year, but he's close.

I agree, but I don't think he'll run enough to be better than Cuddyer!! I think he'll definitely be a top 20 OF next year. He's an everyday player now!! Damon and Giambi are the ones that will be sitting on most days.
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: -3)

Postby chipper » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:27 pm

pangbones wrote:I agree, but I don't think he'll run enough to be better than Cuddyer!! I think he'll definitely be a top 20 OF next year. He's an everyday player now!! Damon and Giambi are the ones that will be sitting on most days.

I'd say he is and will be better than Cuddyer. Not to mention the lineup he's in adds a lot of value that Cuddyer doesn't see.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:22 pm

I have nothing against Melky Cabrera, but top 20 OF next year for him is a bit of a reach IMHO. I see him more as a .280 than a .300 hitter. His HR total probably will top around 15. I would take Cuddyer easily over Cabrera next year and I don't even like Cuddyer all that much.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby masterpinky0509 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:46 pm

Definitely got to put Cuddyer over Cabrera. Don't forget that this team has a flashy lineup, and the small-money guys generally fall into the bottom of the batting order. Can Cabrera crack 80 in either RBIs or runs? I'm not sure, even with tons of playing time. He's going to be something like .300/12-15 HR/70 RBI/75 R/15-20 SB. That's decent, but more like a fourth or fifth outfielder than a 2nd or 3rd. A lot of his value is also tied up in batting average, which is the least reliable stat...although I'll admit his ~90% contact rate is very positive for continued 300+ averages.
masterpinky0509
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)

Postby IllinoisBandit » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:15 pm

I'd have to agree with previous posters. Top 20 on Melky is a bit of a stretch, and I, too, see him as more of a .280 type hitter. He may contribute in all categories, but won't stand out in any.

That said, as an organization it's encouraging to see the Yankees put stock in guys like this. Makes me hate them a little less (just a little).
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby blankman » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:56 pm

I think he could be a .285-.290 guy and go 15-20. Johnny Damon of years past with fewer steals.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)

Postby AtlDynasty25 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:55 am

bcb wrote:How good is Melky?

Not very.
AtlDynasty25
Minor League Mentor