Return to Baseball Leftovers

why do people not like OBP leagues?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:29 pm

Lime wrote:It can't be considered a realistic fantasy league without OBP. If you want to try and fantasize that you're a real MLB GM/manager, you need to include OBP. It's a way more relevant stat in real baseball than AVG. Way more.

i dont think there is such a thing as a realistic fantasy league. when you can devise a league such that mike matheny would be a valuable fantasy catcher then maybe you can call it realistic. until then you are still coming up short no matter how many extra stats you use. i understand and accept the fact that standard 5x5 leagues arent accurate representations of real baseball. i would prefer an imperfect 'simple' game as opposed to a an overly complex setup that still doesnt accurately represent real baseball.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -292)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby free » Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:08 am

j_d_mcnugent wrote:partly for the above reasons and partly because i am too lazy to go adjust my rankings to include obp and whatever pitching category is added.

i second that ;-D
Member #3 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club
free
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -16)

Postby Par66 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:22 am

I've gotten that feeling here too... since I'm in a 10x10 H2H league and it's hard to find opinions sometimes on my rankings. I happen to prefer the 10x10 style with Total Bases, Slugging, OBP, Blown Saves, HR allowed, CG, etc... as it brings more of the game in to play.
Par66
College Coach
College Coach

Postby matmat » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:29 am

i like OBP.
The "I don't use it in my league because it's 5x5" is a lame excuse. Just replace average with obp, what's so hard about that?

the true reason people don't like it is because people fear change (see pizza commercial). Most of the cheat sheets out there do OBP and people are just too lazy to do their own calculations for a "different" league.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:24 pm

Hbj79 wrote:I think that many people have a problem finding an extra pitching cat. that they like. Then again maybe people just resent the fact that Barry Bonds would clearly become the #1 player in fantasy baseball (as he is in real life). :-?

Nah, Pujols and Vlad are still ahead of them. Bonds OBP doesn't help as much as it seems, because he gets so few AB compared to other players.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -16)

Postby AI8818 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:43 pm

partly for the above reasons and partly because i am too lazy to go adjust my rankings to include obp and whatever pitching category is added.

LOL. ;-D
AI8818
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby sammyfan711 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:59 pm

tal1286 wrote:I like OBP. we don't use it in my leagues cause they are 5X5 but, i still like it.

as for stats I don't like, I have heard of leagues that use errors as a stat.

We use errors in our league and it is a silly stat - I'm usually last in it because I get 162 games out of all the positions. That and the fact the I had Furcal last year...

While reading boxscores or watching games, there are few feelings as awful as seeing one of your players commit an error. Especially if goes 0-4 as well.
sammyfan711
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -2)

Postby BobbyRoberto » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:58 pm

In the league I run, we use Runs, HR, RBI, Net-Steals, OBP, and SLG for hitters. It really changes the way you draft and makes some of the "steals guys" pretty useless, but I think it's more realistic. The cut-off point for stolen bases to be beneficial is around 67% so if a guy (let's call him, say, Juan Pierre) steals 45 but gets caught 24 times , he's not helping a real team and shouldn't be over-valued in our league.

For pitching, we use Wins, Net-Saves, Holds (which is a lame category, in my opinion), K/BB ratio, ERA, and WHIP.

I much prefer K/BB ratio over Strikeouts because it ups the value of some pitchers who should be higher in the rankings than they are in just a straight-strikeout category league.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: -13)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers