Return to Baseball Leftovers

Joel Guzman - Minor league draft question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Purple Haze » Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:18 pm

warrick95 wrote: In addition, you have Marte anyway (Prospectus' #1 prospect, I might add), so 1B is probably a little more of a need for youth than 3B.

It's not "Baseball Prospectus" fault the author of this list was on crack... :*)

I love Marte, but noway is he a better prospect than:
Felix hernandez or Delmon young... and arguement of opinions, on the rest could be made as well...

I have it:

Felix Hernandez
Delmon Young
Ian Stewart
Prince Fielder
Andy Marte
Joel Guzman
Adam Miller
Daric Barton
Lastings Milledge
Chad Billingsley/Cole Hamels/Matt Cain

My 2 cents worth... ;-D
Last edited by Purple Haze on Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -23)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:22 pm

Either would be a good choice, really. Guzman might very well end up as a third baseman, but I think he'll have a few years at short. Barton will not make it to the majors as a catcher - he doesn't have the defensive chops. He'll be a 1b for you.

I think Prince is the slightly better hitter between Prince and Guzman, but there is the weight issue. There has to be some point that a player is just too fat to play. And as he ages, Prince might get to that point.

Either way, really. I'd probably take Guzman myself, but Prince has the ability to win a triple crown within the next 10 years.
Absolutely Adequate
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -170)

Postby warrick95 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:24 pm

I don't know if they weighted statistics more or what...or how they came up with that list anyway, but yeah...Marte at 1 was rather weird.

I like that list quite a bit. I think you mean Adam Miller and not Andy Miller, though. I'd put him below Cain and Billingsley now, though, because he has tenderness in his right arm. It might not be serious, but since the three were already close to begin with (I preferred the other two already, personally), I think it puts them over. Hamels is out for a month or two. People are questioning his character now, but a friend in Clearwater says that Hamels was defending a pregnant woman who was being assaulted. Take that or what it's worth.

I actually like Francoeur over Marte, believe it or not. I think he has more upside. I'm a huge fan of Milledge. Hopefully he follows more in the path of Beltran than Cameron or Patterson.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -150)

Postby JRM4833 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:28 pm

Well thanks for all the help. This was some great info and a few of you in particular gave me some great advice. But based on the rankings I may have a pretty good squad for the future (if I can afford to keep them all based on our contract system). And IMO I have a good squad in front of all these guys already.

BJ Upton (major league roster)
Andy Marte (major league roster)
Jeff Francis (major league roster)
Daric Barton (major league roster)
Prince Fielder (minor league roster)

Worst case is Barton goes to 1B rather than OF and I have to make a decision on who to trade off (Fielder or Barton) with Fielder obviously having a bit more hype and thus more value. Now on to figuring out who I'll grab with my next minor league pick (#25). But now I'm afraid to use that Baseball Prospectus list. :-b But Sports Fanatics has got some good links to minor league info and rankings if anyone is interested (bottom of right hand column).

General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -8)

Postby papadakis » Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:24 pm

This is from personal experience. I've played baseball my whole life, and I've seen Prince play in person, and was in high school reading about alot of these other prospects while I was trying to make it.

Cole Hamels is going to be the next big MLB pitcher and there is no doubt in my mind. I've seen him pitch and seen him work, he is legit. His mechanics are perfect, he has a great teacher in Tom House (Prior's coach, whom I worked with a bit.)

Also, Joe Gault will be a good sleeper pick, that kid is going to go big, i've thrown with him before also.
papadakis
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

#1 Pick

Postby bigjimblue » Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:57 pm

Felix Hernandez
bigjimblue
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -5)