Return to Baseball Leftovers

Giambi: I'm gonna jump the gun, boys!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:38 pm

Conner wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:
Conner wrote:Giambi was a .330-.340 hitter before his barrage of injuries the past couple of years.

he played 156 games and had 530 ab's two years ago. cant blame health.

Yes, you can. Guys play with all kinds of ailments all the time.

Especially in the american league, with the designated hitter.

alright i understand where youre coming from, but name me some guys that are injured for a complete year that dropped thier production like it dropped giambis.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -29)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Conner » Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:47 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
Conner wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:
Conner wrote:Giambi was a .330-.340 hitter before his barrage of injuries the past couple of years.

alright i understand where youre coming from, but name me some guys that are injured for a complete year that dropped thier production like it dropped giambis.

No thanks. That's too much work for me.

The fact of the matter is that Giambi was absolutely fighting through injuries that year. One of his most important attributes is his incredible eyesight. 20-13, I beilieve (as opposed to the 20-20, that's supposed to be very good, by most standards).

He was able to physically play baseball, but his eyes were terrible. It was pretty easy to see how much it affected him if you watched him play that year. Unfortunately, (with Nick Johnson being hurt all the time, himself), there wasn't any real alternative to having him just try to play through it.

Personally, I wasn't too upset with the way he played that year, considering the injuries and whatnot.
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:52 pm

Conner wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:
Conner wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:

The fact of the matter is that Giambi was absolutely fighting through injuries that year. One of his most important attributes is his incredible eyesight. 20-13, I beilieve (as opposed to the 20-20, that's supposed to be very good, by most standards).

He was able to physically play baseball, but his eyes were terrible. It was pretty easy to see how much it affected him if you watched him play that year. Unfortunately, (with Nick Johnson being hurt all the time, himself), there wasn't any real alternative to having him just try to play through it.

Personally, I wasn't too upset with the way he played that year, considering the injuries and whatnot.

yea his eyes were so terrible he was the AL player of the month june of 2003. to many excuses, the guy played an entire year and was medicore at best.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Conner » Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:00 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
Conner wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:
Conner wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:

yea his eyes were so terrible he was the AL player of the month june of 2003. to many excuses, the guy played an entire year and was medicore at best.

Dude, you're terrible at making an argument.

You're trying to point out how bad he was that year...then you point out that he won the player of the month in June?

He hit .226 after the All Star break, and the injuries had a lot to do with it. It's really as simple as that.

The fact of the matter is that you didn't even know he had any injuries that year...which means it's impossible for you to know how they affected him.

You don't like him...fine. That's cool.

I'm done discussing it with you.
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:04 pm

well you said injuries affected him all year long. thats obviously not the case if put it all together for a month, in the middle of the season. hes had sub par numbers for 2 years now, injuries or not.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Conner » Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:07 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:well you said injuries affected him all year long.

Really? Did I really say that?

No.....Not really.
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:07 pm

So hes had two injury plagued back to back seasons, and there isn't any sign that those won't continue? You'd be crazy to take him any earlier than the 17th round, Id say. Massive risk.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -16)

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:08 pm

The fact of the matter is that Giambi was absolutely fighting through injuries that year.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Conner » Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:17 pm

You're reaching.

He absolutely was fighting through injuries that year. Doesn't mean he was injured from spring training through the playoffs, though.

I also don't expect him to be one of the first firstbasemen picked. That'd be silly.

But I do think he's got a great chance to be a very nice sleeper.
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers