Return to Baseball Leftovers

Eric Duncan???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby blankman » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:25 pm

Conner wrote:I'm not sure how many of you guys realize this....But Eric Duncan was actually already traded by the Yankees this offseason in the original Randy Johnson trade.

Then, the Dodgers backed out of that deal, and the Yanks and Diamondbacks worked out a new trade...without Duncan.

Unless Duncan shows a lot this year, there's no reason to think that the Yankees see him as a guy who is untradeable.

I'm pretty sure nearly everyone realizes this. That simple fact is the reason so many non-Yankee fans know about him.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bloody Nipples » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:27 pm

I have him in a dynasty league, but I dont know much about him. Can anybody who does provide a comparison with a current player? Or just a description of what type of player he is. Anything, really :-D
aka enderwiggin
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby Conner » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:30 pm

blankman wrote:
Conner wrote:I'm not sure how many of you guys realize this....But Eric Duncan was actually already traded by the Yankees this offseason in the original Randy Johnson trade.

Then, the Dodgers backed out of that deal, and the Yanks and Diamondbacks worked out a new trade...without Duncan.

Unless Duncan shows a lot this year, there's no reason to think that the Yankees see him as a guy who is untradeable.

I'm pretty sure nearly everyone realizes this. That simple fact is the reason so many non-Yankee fans know about him.

That's not necessarily true.

He's the 13th best prospect in baseball, according to Baseball Prospectus. Anyone who follows the minor leagues should know of him.....But that doesn't mean they followed what happened with the Randy Johnson stuff.
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby Conner » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:50 pm

Bloody Nipples wrote:I have him in a dynasty league, but I dont know much about him. Can anybody who does provide a comparison with a current player? Or just a description of what type of player he is. Anything, really :-D

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story ... 7237c.html

Because of his swing, the position he plays and his physical appearance, Duncan is already drawing comparisons to Chipper Jones of the Atlanta Braves. Duncan counts Jones and St. Louis Cardinal Jim Edmonds as the players he tries to emulate.

One scout who saw the Cardinals' Scott Rolen play in high school says Duncan is more advanced than Rolen was at the same point in his career.
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby blankman » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:08 pm

Conner wrote:
blankman wrote:

He's the 13th best prospect in baseball, according to Baseball Prospectus. Anyone who follows the minor leagues should know of him.....But that doesn't mean they followed what happened with the Randy Johnson stuff.

How many people actually follow the minor leagues though? Not a very large percentage. I for one don't.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)

Postby Conner » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:19 pm

blankman wrote:
Conner wrote:
blankman wrote:

How many people actually follow the minor leagues though? Not a very large percentage. I for one don't.

Lots of baseball fans do.

It's also possible that there are some people reading this thread who hadn't heard of him at all...
Last edited by Conner on Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Bloody Nipples » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:22 pm

Conner wrote:
Bloody Nipples wrote:I have him in a dynasty league, but I dont know much about him. Can anybody who does provide a comparison with a current player? Or just a description of what type of player he is. Anything, really :-D

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story ... 7237c.html

Because of his swing, the position he plays and his physical appearance, Duncan is already drawing comparisons to Chipper Jones of the Atlanta Braves. Duncan counts Jones and St. Louis Cardinal Jim Edmonds as the players he tries to emulate.

One scout who saw the Cardinals' Scott Rolen play in high school says Duncan is more advanced than Rolen was at the same point in his career.

Thanks. If he turns out to be like any of those players I would be overjoyed!
aka enderwiggin
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby hybrid » Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:05 pm

Purple Haze, are you on a revolt from the minor league forum? ;-)

Anyways to answer your questions...
- Your guess is as good as anyones to whether he stays with the Yanks, everyone knows they like to trade their prospects ... though he could be one they keep. I expect him to start having some pretty good years, his XBH's show that there is some good power to come, possibly this year.

- Elite? Personally I don't think he will be that good. A lot compare him to a poor man's Chipper Jones.

- It all depends on which team he gets traded too, but obviously it would prolly be better if he stayed a Yankee. Their offense is always loaded and the short porch in right would help him.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers