Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dave Roberts

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:20 pm

I think that he will do well and respond favorably to being tapped as 'the starter' in SD, after 'filling in' over the last couple of years, which has got to be frustrating for a veteran.

Given that Burroughs was the leadoff guy the last couple of years there, I anticipate that management will be giving him the green light more than perhaps they ought to, if only b/c they can. Plus, while the Giants picked up Matheny who's a good defensive C, none of the teams (except for SD...w/ Humberto Quintero...) have anybody lined up behind the plate w/ big arms at all. A dink hitter like Roberts, w/ a decent eye (close to 1 to 1 BB vs. K for career...) should be able to get on and steal bases pretty regularly for you.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:15 pm

He's not a bad late round option especially in a H2H league but I wouldn't want him as a full-time starter in my fantasy lineup. I think he is a little overrated. The guy is 32 and has never played more than 130 games in a season and the only value he bring is his SB. If you need SB take him as a bench player but not a starter.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby acsguitar » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:29 pm

He's old and often injured..but if healthy his steal are nice...as for PODS being a bad batter hes only been in the league 2 years!! This year hell bat close to 300
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -117)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:33 pm

acsguitar wrote:as for PODS being a bad batter hes only been in the league 2 years!! This year hell bat close to 300
Close as in .270? His 2003 BA was a fluke.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby sooner711 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:02 pm

Dave Roberts, LF SD

News: CF Dave Roberts got the day off Sunday and will also sit out Monday after pulling a groin muscle Saturday.

Analysis: Roberts is an outstanding sleeper this season because of his high-end stolen-base potential. He does have a history of leg muscle pulls, though, so be wary of overvaluing him on Draft Day.
sooner711
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -2)

Postby wrveres » Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:12 pm

wow, lots of bad information in here...

A) Roberts was the starter in LA for a couple of seasons, before being sent to Boston last year.
B) He was often injured, which is why LA gave up on him.
C) Padres will use him in a Left /Right platoon, though probably not right out of the gate. All you have to do is look at Roberts career splits to understand that. Bochy has said he plans on getting Nady plenty of AB's at all of the OF spots including 1B and 3B.
D) Burroughs was the leadoff hitter for only one season. He experimented with it for the last couple of weeks in 2003.
E) Quintero is not the catcher in San Diego. Hernandez is.
F) While this may be Pods 3rd year in the league, he spent 9 years in the minors, partially because of a poor batting average. I would not expect his BA to increase.

lastly, Roberts is worth drafting in daily leagues. In weekly leagues, not so much.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:22 pm

wrveres wrote:wow, lots of bad information in here...

but he's the only guy, starter, backup or prospect, in the NL west who has displayed any sort of dangerous arm. The guys in LA, Col and Arizona are all weak. Matheny is ok but can be run upon. ANd Roberts is safe from him as long as he's Padres 'property'

you got me on Burroughs though, he was all over the place in the lineup but, at any rate, the Padres did not have a basestealing threat. I suppose I ought to be more careful but Burroughs did start the year there and stunk it up
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Postby wrveres » Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:49 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:
wrveres wrote:wow, lots of bad information in here...

but he's the only guy, starter, backup or prospect, in the NL west who has displayed any sort of dangerous arm. The guys in LA, Col and Arizona are all weak. Matheny is ok but can be run upon. ANd Roberts is safe from him as long as he's Padres 'property'

you got me on Burroughs though, he was all over the place in the lineup but, at any rate, the Padres did not have a basestealing threat. I suppose I ought to be more careful but Burroughs did start the year there and stunk it up

well that is tough to say because we don't know who will be the starter in LA, ARZ or Col. But I think you are correct in your assement.

In LA they are not happy with Ross, and there is talk of going with Navarro, who has decent arm.

In Arizona the C position is still up for grabs between Hill and Snyder, though it will probably be Hill, even though Snyder has the better arm.

and Colorado is still not settled on Closser full time.

Either way, I can't see Roberts getting more than 450- 500 AB's on the season from the leadoff spot, be it either from a platoon or injury.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:58 pm

I refuse to be tempted by Roberts anymore - he simply cant stay healthy.

BTW - thanks wrv for setting the record strait about the misconceptions.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -213)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby NZF » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:23 pm

I was more than happy to draft him in the 15th round of our league, primarily to get me some steals if he can stay healthy. He certainly won't be in my line-up each day but will be decent enough value when starting against right handed pitching.

BTW, is he Japanese?
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -27)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers