Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Strategy of having 2 Cs???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Strategy of having 2 Cs???

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:28 pm

Okay, I am thinking about carrying 2 catchers on a 25 man roster. Right now I have R. Hernandez and I'm thinking about picking up Olivio with my last pick in the draft because I think he could be break out this year and be a good keeper. My problem is effectivly utilizing 2 catchers and knowing when sit one for the other. Is there any inclination or protocol that can be followed such as sitting Varitek when Wakefield starts and Maribelli is catching??? Should I rotate Hernandez to the bench every 3 days or so in favor of Olivio, or do I sit Hernandez whenever he plays at home (course he did hit 10-12 of his HR at Petco last year). Any insight into this strategy would be appreciated, thanks.

12 Team 5X5 Keeper 25 Man Roster
C - Ramon Hernandez
1B - Paul Konerko
2B - Brian Roberts
3B - Eric Chavez
SS - Cesar Izturis
OF - Jim Edmonds
OF - Vernon Wells
OF - J.D. Drew
Util - Aramis Ramirez
Util - Shawn Green
Bench - Khalil Greene
Bench -
Bench

SP - Roy Oswalt
SP - Pedro Martinez
RP - Billy Wagner
RP - Guillermo Mota
P - A.J. Burnett
P - Feddy Garcia
P - Jon Lieber
Bench - Jeff Weaver
Bench -
Bench -
Bench -
Bench -
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cooner » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:32 pm

the few times i've tryed to play that game, it failed miserably. The one thing to look out for is that every once in a while, the team/catcher will let it slip an hour before gametime. That's about it.
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby SFkid25 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:33 pm

brandon inge

thats my sleeper, he could be this years craig wilson who was dirty in the first half and inge's numbers are improving
SFkid25
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby .38 Special » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:41 pm

Yeah...I might grab Inge, but otherwise I don't want to play that game. Maybe if you had Tek, you know he is sitting if Wakefield is pitching. Other then that good luck.
.38 Special
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:44 pm

I don't like Inge that much this year, I say instead of last year's Craig Wilson he is last year's Matt LeCroy. Anybody know how to do this 2 catcher thing right???
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby .38 Special » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:04 pm

If you can be by a computer every day, and wait to hear who is sitting and who is playing then I think you can do it. I had Pudge last year and I couldn't keep up. Like I said, you know Tek is sitting when Wake is pitching, other then that I don't know how you could do it consistently.
.38 Special
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)

Postby bleach168 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:14 pm

It's not 100%, but catchers tend to sit out day games the day after night games.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -11)

Postby elskenmin » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:30 pm

Hernandez is a fine catcher and I really like Olivo also. The only problem is not knowing when Olivo is going to play. If given a chance, he could turn into an awesome hitter. But, Seattle, for some unknown reason, may play Wilson MORE then Olivo.
elskenmin
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:02 pm

Fanball.com
Mar 13 Mariners manager Mike Hargrove confirmed on Saturday that Miguel Olivo would be the starting catcher over veteran Dan Wilson. Hargrove expects Olivo to catch at least 110 games. "He's a strong guy," the manager told the Associated Press. "He should be able to do that." Olivo, 26, hit .233 with 13 homers, 40 RBI, 46 runs, and seven steals in 96 games between the White Sox and Mariners in 2004.
Views: We already expected Olivo to be the starting catcher, but it's nice that Hargrove has confirmed the depth chart positioning.

Anymore advice?
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby matmat » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:07 pm

well. in daily transaction leagues, if you really want all the ABs you could take the backup to whatever catcher you draft (mirabelli/tek, fleherty/posada) etc.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers