Return to Baseball Leftovers

Scotty Podsednik..

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Scotty Podsednik..

Postby go_jays_go » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:56 pm

Will this guy run even more then he did with Milwaukee? I think if he ups his BA then he has the potential to lead the league in steals and match or even surpass his last years totals with 70..I think he'll be quite the speedy stud this year. Any thoughts B-)
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -710)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jpbusta » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:58 pm

85. Yes, I said it. Knock on me all you want. Pods is stealing 85+ bags this year. :-D
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby TBallgame » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:59 pm

Living in chicago, all I have heard is that Ozzie wants to play small ball and let Scotty Run alot, It is ST, so take that however you want too
"I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated." Al McGuire
TBallgame
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Iconoclastic » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:04 am

Well how many SB does Scott have in ST? That's one good stat that's a good indicator of how much he'll run in the regular season.
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)

Postby LBJackal » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:26 am

I don't see him slowing down in Chicago. Will he match last year's 70? I don't know, but if he's healthy he'll be amongst the most in the majors. He's definately under-rated.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

Postby go_jays_go » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:59 am

I think most people are down on him is because he moved to Chicago and that he wont run as much, but Ozzie wants him to run whenever he feels is right. I personally think Scotty Pod...Is a Scotty STUD, and WILL lead the league in steals
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -710)

Postby baseballnewb » Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:18 am

Pods will score more fantasy points for your team than pierre and go 2 rounds later... thats all you need to know.
baseballnewb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby rlee » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:53 am

People aren't down on him because he switched leagues. They're down on him because of his .243 BA and his .229 BA in the second half of last year. His OBP in the second half was .285!!! Yikes.

If he has a prayer of reaching 70 SBs, he'll have to get on base. I know he's having a great spring, but those splits from last year will kill your team despite a ton of SBs. At least Pierre will continue scoring runs and hit well over .300.
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby mcmahojl » Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:12 pm

rlee wrote:People aren't down on him because he switched leagues. They're down on him because of his .243 BA and his .229 BA in the second half of last year. His OBP in the second half was .285!!! Yikes.

If he has a prayer of reaching 70 SBs, he'll have to get on base. I know he's having a great spring, but those splits from last year will kill your team despite a ton of SBs. At least Pierre will continue scoring runs and hit well over .300.

I agree. Getting your average up, because it is a ratio, is much more difficult than accumulating steals, a raw number.

Pods has 5 SB's this spring, second in the league. This shows that he is getting ready to run, and on top of that, he is hitting .400 (10/25) with 2 triples. This is worth continuous observation as Opening Day gets closer.

Thank you Ozzie for allowing yet another team to display the power, and beauty, of the stolen base. ;-D
"I live for this game. If baseballs went well with eggs, Id eat them for breakfast..."
mcmahojl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RedSoxdominate » Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:55 pm

Saying that Podsednik will have MORE stolen bases than last year is a pretty bold statement. Anything over 70 is pretty damn good, and 80 is virtually unheard of in this era. I don't see how he would be running more with the Chisox, who have a better offense than the Brew Crew did last year and therefore have less of a need to be ultra-agressive on the basepaths. I think he'll have about the same number this year if not slightly less.
RedSoxdominate
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers