Return to Baseball Leftovers

the continued proliferation of stupid league setups

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

the continued proliferation of stupid league setups

Postby stevelabny » Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:53 am

so i posted the results of my 12 team, mixed league, 5x5 auction draft in the other forum,

it lists my whole team with prices, then breaks down some of what happened at the draft, gives a quick blurb of other teams and a closing statement. its LONG but still quicker to read it than do a mock draft.

and 24 hours later, im in the middle of page 2 with 9 views.

I've looked through other posts trying to leave some comments, but every single league ive looked at is some oddball rules system

i immediatley ignore any points league, or any h2h league.
then i have to throw out all the leagues that arents 4x4, 5x5, or maybe 6x6.

then i find leagues with only 12-15 starting players instead of the "standard" 23.

WHAT GIVES?

Is there a reason why fantasy baseball spiralled out of control and couldnt maintain a standard rules system with 1-3 common variations?

Hell, poker has been around a lot longer anddoesnt take 8 months to play but theres less variations.

I once again beg the administrators for boards based on rules systems.

I please anyone who reads this and plays in a "standard" league to critique my team, and ask for my opinion of theres in return.
"Baseball is like church. Many attend. Few understand." -- Leo Durocher
stevelabny
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: the continued proliferation of stupid league setups

Postby wrveres » Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:37 am

stevelabny wrote:so i posted the results of my 12 team, mixed league, 5x5 auction draft in the other forum,

it lists my whole team with prices, then breaks down some of what happened at the draft, gives a quick blurb of other teams and a closing statement. its LONG but still quicker to read it than do a mock draft.

and 24 hours later, im in the middle of page 2 with 9 views.

I've looked through other posts trying to leave some comments, but every single league ive looked at is some oddball rules system

i immediatley ignore any points league, or any h2h league.
then i have to throw out all the leagues that arents 4x4, 5x5, or maybe 6x6.

then i find leagues with only 12-15 starting players instead of the "standard" 23.

WHAT GIVES?

Is there a reason why fantasy baseball spiralled out of control and couldnt maintain a standard rules system with 1-3 common variations?

Hell, poker has been around a lot longer anddoesnt take 8 months to play but theres less variations.

I once again beg the administrators for boards based on rules systems.

I please anyone who reads this and plays in a "standard" league to critique my team, and ask for my opinion of theres in return.

lmao .... It sooo true ... :-b
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby wrveres » Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:40 am

I went to look your team over, and couldn't find it, how about a link?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby stevelabny » Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:51 pm

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=103463

is a link to the thread in question.

I'm also amused that NOBODY tried to answer my WHAT GIVES?
question.

I should go on a crusade to explain the "standard" rules and try to convert people.
stevelabny
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:57 pm

man, relax grinch. personally my league thinks the standard 5x5 system is majorly flawed, so we tweaked it. who cares?
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -29)

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:02 pm

+1 5x5 is ok but I like tweaked formats as well. I don't like playing as much when SB are so overvalued. Once you start playing w/ cats, it's hard to stop and, after all, it is a GAME...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:03 pm

I looked at your team too but will have to come back later to read all the annotations and decipher it. Looks pretty good though...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby stevelabny » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:06 pm

well i "care" because it makes it very difficult to talk about the game when everyone is playing by a different set of rules.

for example, i was just looking at the thread about cuddyer and people were commenting about how he's not worth it, or only worth it in deep leagues. or worth more in a league with daily transactions because of his multi-positional eligiblity.

all of this is true.

i have cuddyer as a starter in my 12-team, 23-offensive players league. but if youre playing in a 12 team league with only 9 offensive players, hes not as good a pick.

any daily transaction league adds a few bucks to mutli-position eligible players as you can plug them in around the diamond for any player whos off for the night.
Unless of course youre in a daily transaction league that limits each position to 162 starts.

Any league that uses different stats, changes player values.
Penalized for offensive strikeouts? Lots of free-swingers plummet in value.
An extra category of OBP or Hits in addition to BA?
Barry Bonds's value doubles.

It gotten to the point where saying 5x5 mixed auction league ISN'T enough. Because some people play 5x5 with different categories, and some play with less then the normal 23 players.

When I have to write a novel to have a conversation about my league, its irritating and discourages posting.
Thats why, in the earlier days of the cafe, i had 200 posts, and since then I barely post.
stevelabny
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:09 pm

stevelabny wrote:well i "care" because it makes it very difficult to talk about the game when everyone is playing by a different set of rules.

for example, i was just looking at the thread about cuddyer and people were commenting about how he's not worth it, or only worth it in deep leagues. or worth more in a league with daily transactions because of his multi-positional eligiblity.

all of this is true.

i have cuddyer as a starter in my 12-team, 23-offensive players league. but if youre playing in a 12 team league with only 9 offensive players, hes not as good a pick.

any daily transaction league adds a few bucks to mutli-position eligible players as you can plug them in around the diamond for any player whos off for the night.
Unless of course youre in a daily transaction league that limits each position to 162 starts.

Any league that uses different stats, changes player values.
Penalized for offensive strikeouts? Lots of free-swingers plummet in value.
An extra category of OBP or Hits in addition to BA?
Barry Bonds's value doubles.

It gotten to the point where saying 5x5 mixed auction league ISN'T enough. Because some people play 5x5 with different categories, and some play with less then the normal 23 players.

When I have to write a novel to have a conversation about my league, its irritating and discourages posting.
Thats why, in the earlier days of the cafe, i had 200 posts, and since then I barely post.

so basically everyone has to play the same exact type of fantasy baseball?! no one else seems to have problems asking what type of league the person is in to give accurate info. youre just a whining crybaby. :~( :~( :~(
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -29)

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:19 pm

but you wrote a novel after your rate my team post so that may be part of the problem. I don't want to say 'player x sucks and needs to be replaced' if you have already addressed that in your addendum.

To me, the game we are talking about is the one ON the field, even though it is concurrent with and intertwined with ALL the different forms of fantasy. Perhaps having a separate forum for each type of game would help but, as you point out, there are STILL variances within 5x5 auction formats themselves. I have a format that would make you puke in one league but we still enjoy ourselves and I can translate enough 5x5 stuff in my head to derive some benefits.

Thanks for caring though. Caring is very important.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers