Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pujols : No News is Good News?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pujols : No News is Good News?

Postby yankee_cafe » Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:48 am

I've got first pick in my upcoming draft next week.

I had decided to take ARod #1 over Pujols even though I feel Pujols is the better choice if playing time were equal. I just came to the conclusion that ARod was the safer pick.

But with still nothing solid to go on with regards to Pujols' foot issues, I'm starting to think there just may be no issue at all.

Of course, the little guy on my other shoulder is whispering that there is a chance he'll miss time over the year and the Cards are just being very "hush hush".

Should I just be a "homer" and pick ARod?
Can we build it?
yankee_cafe
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Howie » Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:21 am

picking arod does not make you a homer. plus, its always more fun to root for people that are on your favorite real life team. also, if you feel that pujols is an injury risk (i do too), then take arod. he's more "safe" in that he doesnt have an injury right now, but anyone can get hurt during a season.
Howie
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Postby quietstorm » Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:30 am

Look at it this way: If it's a local draft and you live in a Yank-infested area, what better chance to pick a Yank without drafting him too high?
Your wisemen don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby LBJackal » Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:01 am

I wouldn't draft A-Rod in my top 5. If not Pujols, go for Vlad, Beltran, or even RJ, Tejada, or Abreu. A-Rod should not be a consideration for the first overall pick in a normal league. Now, if you're in a league of Yankee lovers you might want to think about drafting A-Rod #1 and trading him for an inflated value and end up getting more value from that pick than a single player like Beltran or Vlad would bring.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

Postby yankee_cafe » Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:17 pm

Whoa ... Arod not in the top 5? That's a thread all by itself. :-)

Sadly, I think I'm the only Yankee fan in a pool of Red Sox supporters.
Can we build it?
yankee_cafe
College Coach
College Coach

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:32 pm

i think no news is good news. the cards arent like the cubs when it comes to injury info. if pujols were hurting bad right now we would know about. its still possible he may miss some time during the season but i think it would only be a handful of games.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -292)

Postby Mustangs989 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:36 pm

LBJackal wrote:I wouldn't draft A-Rod in my top 5. If not Pujols, go for Vlad, Beltran, or even RJ, Tejada, or Abreu. A-Rod should not be a consideration for the first overall pick in a normal league. Now, if you're in a league of Yankee lovers you might want to think about drafting A-Rod #1 and trading him for an inflated value and end up getting more value from that pick than a single player like Beltran or Vlad would bring.

I agree with LBJ although I'm not as big of a fan of Abreu as he is. Pujols,Vlad and Beltran are my top 3 ;-D
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -52)

Postby yankee_cafe » Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:50 pm

Thanks guys .... could come down to the proverbial coin flip.
Can we build it?
yankee_cafe
College Coach
College Coach

Postby GameOn » Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:28 pm

LBJackal wrote:I wouldn't draft A-Rod in my top 5. If not Pujols, go for Vlad, Beltran, or even RJ, Tejada, or Abreu. A-Rod should not be a consideration for the first overall pick in a normal league. Now, if you're in a league of Yankee lovers you might want to think about drafting A-Rod #1 and trading him for an inflated value and end up getting more value from that pick than a single player like Beltran or Vlad would bring.

How is ARod not a top 5 pick? He will hit around .290 with 40 HRs and 25-30 SBs.

I would take Pujols over ARod, but his foot problems reall worry me so I am staying away. I can't really justify myself there, I just do not see him playing the full season.

Vlad will hit for a higher avg, but he will have fewer SBs and HRs. Plus ARod plays 3B.

IMO Beltran will be lucky to hit 30 HRs in Shea, his average will be about the same as ARod and he will steal 10-15 more bases. But again, ARod plays 3B.

As for Abreu...he is a poor man's Beltran, ARod should go before Beltran so there is not even a need to discuss Abreu...but if you like I will. I would expect around 20-25 HRs from him with 30-35 SBs and a .300 AVG. ARod is the obvious pick there.

RJ...he's old and he will wear down at some point...there are too many good SPs laying around in the later rounds to waste such a high pick on a pitcher...I'll pass.

Tejada will hit 30-35 HRs, won't steal much, and he'll have about a .300 AVG. I would rather take ARod and get a guy like Mike Young or Jimmy Rollins 3 or 4 rounds later.

Just my $.02
GameOn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -6)

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:34 pm

id take vlad here. a-rod is obviously a safe choice, but third base is so freaking stacked with talent id rather worry about other postions.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -29)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers