Return to Baseball Leftovers

All you need is love

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

All you need is love

Postby HOOTIE » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:33 am

Looking at the locked Bonds thread, it's so sad to see so much hate in the Cafe. There is enough hate in the world. Bonds has done nothing to be truly hated. Being surly, disliking a idiot media, taking roids, isn't a reason to be hated. Maybe if he had dumped his wife in a bay, shot his wife at dinner, molested some kids, he would be hateable. It's funny how people say Bonds is breaking cherished records, and he's not deserving. How sacred is Ruths 714 hrs? Corked bats, whoremongering, alcoholic, syphillis/gonorrhea poster child. What a man. What a great guy to have the record. Why doesn't the media ask Maris and Aaron if they ever popped greenies? Mantle was a legend, but in the end was a drunk. McGwire looked pitiful at the hearings. What a coward. So why is Bonds the only guy hated? I think Bonds handles it well. He should extend his middle finger to those who ask dumb questions. Some of you hate mongers throw stones at Bonds, yet you live in glass houses. You have no idea the crap, him and his family have had to endure. If Bonds does something truly bad, maybe then he should be hated. Until then, try being civil.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 495)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby FatGuyWithAMullet » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:37 am

People hated Ted Williams back in the day much worse than Bonds is hated now, but time obviously heals a lot of wounds. As for your question as to why is Bonds hated, he's hated because he's a punk ass jerk.
FatGuyWithAMullet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby roadrunner » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:40 am

Dude, well said
i could care less about steroids and Bonds< i've always been told that cheating is a part of baseball and i'm o.k. with that, Hell i just did my taxes and i can show you a thing or to about cheating.
But what i really dig are your references to glass houses and being civil, Word up
roadrunner
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -11)

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:40 am

So...no one said anyone is perfect. None of those guys went out and used illegal performance enhancing drugs. If anything, their lifestyle/alcoholism/etc hurt not helped their productivity. Corked bats or spitballs...cheating that has been around in the game since its inception and is hardly on par with injecting drugs into your butt.

Bonds is disliked because he is an a**hole. That he cheated and broke laws by taking roids to accomplish feats and ultimately break records he would not have otherwise makes him even more despised and you can hardly blame anyone for not wanting him to break Aaron's record.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -58)

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:41 am

HOOTIE might just be the voice of reason! ;-D

I say if we're tired of talking about it we just stop spewing it. Everyone has problems; everyone makes mistakes. When you do something, would you like the media asking you about it every second you're not doing your job? I know I wouldn't.

I don't say I like Bonds one way or another. All I know is that he is/was a good baseball player, and if he used roids, oh well...If you think the game is tarnished, just don't acknowledge what he did. We all have favorite players and hated players. Put him wherever you see fit, and that will be your opinion. :-)
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -250)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby cafe_58 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:41 am

Nice post, Hootie. While Bonds may do things that iritate and provoke, the man does not deserve the incredible amount of hate he receives. I've heard some nasty things about him (Sheffield told a story that was pretty bad), but at the end of the day, from what I know, he is a decent man that does nothing to hurt anyone else.
cafe_58
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: You can find me in da dome, chillin wit Jarome.......

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:43 am

I'll just add one more thing - how many times has one of you cheated/lied to get something over someone else or improve your position? If you have, you're no better than Bonds - and at least you don't have the workplace/school newspaper up your jock about it every time you step out your door. :-/

That, my friends, is all I'm saying on the matter, regardless of replies. Let's talk fantasy baseball! ;-D
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -250)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby FatGuyWithAMullet » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:43 am

Mercer Boy wrote:I say if we're tired of talking about it we just stop spewing it. Everyone has problems; everyone makes mistakes. When you do something, would you like the media asking you about it every second you're not doing your job? I know I wouldn't.

If I was making upwards of twenty million dollars a year to play baseball I'd learn to live with it. Every professional athlete has to deal with the scrutiny of the media for crying out loud.
FatGuyWithAMullet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Re: All you need is love

Postby ajgnydc722 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:44 am

HOOTIE wrote:You have no idea the crap, him and his family have had to endure.

What has he and his family gone through that is so different from anyone else?

He cheated on his wife and then b*tches today that he's family oriented and the media has brought him and his family down and he and his family are 'tired'.

He not only took steroids, but lies under oath to the grand jury. Have the balls to admit what you're doing and not take the pansy's way out by saying "I thought it was flaxseed oil."

He has the balls to adamantly deny steroid use, yet go out and leave his godfather, Willie Mays', numbers in the dust.

He's also involved in an IRS debacle right now.

He is, was and always will be a prick to everyone.

He builds his image as a bad@$$ who doesn't care what the world thinks of him...then watches Big Mac break down at a Congressional Hearing and turns soft. If your going to be a "I don't give a sh*t, bad@$$ your entire career, then go out like that. Don't go out and b*tch when the going gets tough. He expects people to be sympathetic towards him now because "we've finally brought him down..." If you're gunna stick up your middle finger to everyone, finish out like that. Don't piss and moan about the world when your about to destroy baseball history.

Not to be too harsh, but Bonds can screw off. No he didn't murder anybody, but he's a scumbag and I still don't like him.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -37)

Postby ajgnydc722 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:46 am

Mercer Boy wrote:HOOTIE might just be the voice of reason! ;-D

I say if we're tired of talking about it we just stop spewing it.

I'm not tired of talking about it. I'll bash Bonds until his records are taken away.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -37)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers