Return to Baseball Leftovers

All you need is love

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby FatGuyWithAMullet » Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:29 am

How the hell do you figure that's an impersonation of a black person? I just told you I made it as effeminate as possible, do you genuinely not understand what direction I was taking with that one?
FatGuyWithAMullet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:05 am

Not that it matters, but it reads to me as someone with a lisp. Not sure how that makes it racist.

Back on subject, Bonds has always been a jerk. Whether he's been justified (in his mind) is irrelevant to me. I am impressed by what he's accomplished (500 HR-500 SB) even if he hadn't taken anything illegal. But there are a lot of great athletes in all sports who make loads of money, are asked questions everyday who don't have the attitude he does.

As for comparisons to Kobe, please. Kobe was not convicted. Bonds admitted under oath to taking the substances. IF Kobe had been convicted, rape is far worse, IMHO. But, innocent until proven guilty.

As to cheating, it is all wrong, IMO. What it will boil down to me is who was proven to cheat and who wasn't. Ruth played in an era of corked bats and other things. Fine. Someone prove to me that he hit X number of homeruns with a corked bat. Prove that Aaron took greenies. Same with any other player who is alleged to have done something wrong - show me the proof. Canseco, Sheffield, Joe Niekro, Caminiti, Giambi, Perry, Sosa, et al. - the proof is there, as it is with Bonds (his sworn testimony). Until then, it is all your opinion based on unsubstantiated facts for anyone else.

And as for older players vs. today's players, these arguments will always exist. Ballparks, equipment, etc. will always change. Quality of players changes due to improvements in nutrition as well as dilution in talent due to more teams. This is what makes the sport great - it can set up endless debates as to who was better.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -74)
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby GiantFan666 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:07 am

Hey mods, can't we just give Barry his own forum and let everyone duke it out in there or just a barry sticky w/ the top 5 Barry threads
and then slap a moratorium on new threads unless its trade related or in the game/venting forum? it just seems to me that on any given thread about Barry the usefulness stops at the end of the first page of replies and then degenerates into the same arguments EVERY single time, and then finally the ugly name-calling and personal attacks ensue... or it also could just be that the Cafe has a bad case of cabin fever right now and we just need the season to start NOW!
GiantFan666
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -193)

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:14 am

Didn't Kobe pay a cash settlement to the woman to keep it out of court, and seal the records? Seems a real odd thing for a innocent man to do.

YANKS04, we were having a simple discussion, but you feel the need to blow me off, because you perceive me as being lost? No hard feelings, but just tell me if i read it correctly. I respond to many of your threads, and will stop if my posts annoy you. My question is why is doctoring balls, and corking bats, is a lesser evil? Cheating is cheating. MLB has long suspended players 7-10 days for both infractions. In 2003, 84-96 players tested positive for roids. Not one player served a suspension. Even now, you only get 10 games (1st offense), about the same as corking or doctoring balls. Gaylord Perry admitted in his autobiography that his spitter kept him in the majors. How can you say these are minor, but roids are major? Cheating is all wrong. If we both take a test, and you copy 5 answers from the next person, and i copy only 1, am i less guilty? In the eyes of the teacher, we both are cheaters. If people want to say Bonds career is tainted, they must apply those same standards to every other player in history suspended, or caught cheating. You can't pick and choose.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 495)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Cooner » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:30 am

GiantFan666 wrote:Hey mods, can't we just give Barry his own forum and let everyone duke it out in there or just a barry sticky w/ the top 5 Barry threads
and then slap a moratorium on new threads unless its trade related or in the game/venting forum? it just seems to me that on any given thread about Barry the usefulness stops at the end of the first page of replies and then degenerates into the same arguments EVERY single time, and then finally the ugly name-calling and personal attacks ensue... or it also could just be that the Cafe has a bad case of cabin fever right now and we just need the season to start NOW!

best suggestion ever ;-D
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby Trazcon » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:33 am

Rationality doesn't exist anymore.

Bonds is who he is and you have every right to not like the guy.

BUT the way he's treated by the media and others is pretty harsh.
"I think they out to get me, helpless was livin' sinful. If you was me all this pain I'm feelin would been done killed you"-- Nas
Trazcon
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Cooner » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:35 am

wrveres wrote:Actually I was thinking about this the other day, in regards to the record book. I mean when it comes to modern medicine, modern day athletes at so much more of an advantage it shouldn't even matter.

A mean things like creatine, or blood analaysis for vitamen defiency, or even the infamous Cortizone shot that is taken by players every day, is just few of the "legal" things that a player can take to improve their overall game, health or what ever. Tony Gywnn used video tape to anaylaze every AB. How huge is that to be able to walk behind the dugout and analyze your every swing during a game. All of these things give a player a huge advantage over their predsecessors. Even something simple as weight training was voodoo for baseball players till about 25 years ago.

or stitching a tendon in place to pitch another game, or Tommy John surgury, or lasik surgery, or tennis balls at 180 mph with numbers written on them, or or or

so many examples of this, it's a very good point ;-D
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby ajgnydc722 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:37 am

Trazcon wrote:

He deserves it, though.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -37)

Postby RynMan » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:30 am

I dont think I have much of an opinion on this. Bonds is Bonds. People are gonna do what they do whether I b*tch about it or not. Who cares. Im just gonna let it play out.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:40 am

ajgnydc722 wrote:
Trazcon wrote:

He deserves it, though.

Absolutely.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -58)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers