Return to Baseball Leftovers

Fanball.com SP predictions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Fanball.com SP predictions

Postby cmchampa2 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:40 pm

Fanball.com expects "14 wins and high 4.00 ERA" from Jeremy Bonderman. Not exactly breakout numbers, though not awful either.

Come to think of it, doesn't Fanball ALWAYS predict 14 wins and about a 4.00 ERA for all SPs after the top few? Are these the same people that never miss a chance to advise fantasy managers to sit injured players until they play or that players sent to the minors have no fantasy value?

Fanball.com experts are like weathermen, they don't want to miss by too much, so they just predict that all players will be average.
I'm not just the president of the Cornbread Maxwell Fan Club, I'm also the only member.
cmchampa2
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -58)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:43 pm

14 W and a 4.00 ERA is being generous IMO. People are infatuated with K's. This guy has bad control and doesn't keep the ball in the park all that well, especially for a guy in Comerica. Give him another year or two.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:52 pm

I expect more than 14 Ws - but not much more at all - in the 14-16 range. His Ks are impressive. But other than that, Bonderman is overrated by many people.

Sure he has a lot of raw talent and he is very young - those two things should suggest that his %s will be very erratic, and his ERA shouldnt be projected lower than 4 by anyone.

I started this spring thinking he was way overrated in fantasy circles, and I still think he is, but his ST starts suggest he is ready to go, and he could be worth the price.

As a Tiger fan, I love Bondo, but Im also realistic about what to expect from him.

I think Nate robertson will have similar value to Bonderman at the end of the yr based on stat totals. Ranking wise, Bonderman is becoming an elite top 20 SP, but not there yet - probably not until the latter half of '05.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -213)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:06 pm

You have to take notice on this guy's potential, though. He finished last season very strong, posting silly numbers. Sub .300 ERA, Batting average against around .200ish. And now this ST he has been studly. Look at yesterday's numbers:
5 IP: 0 runs, 1 hit, 2 walks, 5 Ks.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -369)

Postby Broncmet724 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:25 pm

Thought he had around a 3.6-3.8 ERA late
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -20)

Postby hybrid » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:20 pm

It's weird, I've always been high on Bonderman since he was in the minors. Though lately with all the hype he is getting from most magazines, he seems to be underrated here at the cafe IMO.

Maybe I should have a Bonderman watch this year in my sig :-?
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby Iconoclastic » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:42 pm

I'll bet nobody believed Peavy, Sheets, or Perez would have the monster seasons they had last year either. Who knows?
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)

Postby moochman » Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:24 am

Broncmet724 wrote:Thought he had around a 3.6-3.8 ERA late

I can remember reading that he finished very strong his last 8 outings, but I could only come up with monthly breakdowns. I would assume then that the last 2 starts in Aug were similar to those in Sept. Here is the breakdown for his 6 Sept starts:
4-2, 42 Ks, 2.53 ERA, 1.05 WHIP and an bat ave against of .199.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -369)

Return to Baseball Leftovers