Return to Baseball Leftovers

Griff to Houston???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby hybrid » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:57 am

agchris02 wrote:back to the main point of the thread....

rotoworld and the houston chronicle report (as well as espn insider) that there ARE talks between the stros and reds about griffey, but the astros dont want to part with two high prospects, a draft pick, and an "unnamed" player for griffey, as well as take on that salary

So negoitations are going on, but no deal is anywhere near being completed, and I doubt it will be

Lanes the man in houston now :)

I can understand the salary part, but nothing else makes much sense. The astros don't really have any big prospects, they have a few nice ones and that's about it. Also, you can't trade draft picks in baseball.

edit: now that I think about it more though, I bet the Reds would trade Griffey just for a nice sp prospect or two ... as long as the Astros take a good majority of his salary.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby swingaway » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:11 am

griffey to houston = :-t . I rather put a rookie in the outfiled than an injury prone over the hill player with a big contract. Well if the trade is to get done i hope the players would be liek redding, duckworth, carlos hernadez. We better keep E. astacio
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -20)

Postby Amazinz » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:07 am

LBJackal wrote:Proof to the contrary? Kazmir is locked up cheaply for a long while and is one of the top pitching prospects in baseball. Whether or not he pans out is irrelevent, even though he probably will. And V-Zam is overpaid and can't throw strikes. What more proof do I need?

That's not proof. Pitching prospects don't mean squat if they don't pan out. I'm not saying that he won't just that it remains to be seen. As far as VZam, this is his first full season with the Mets. Why don't you let the season play out a little bit than you can talk all the junk you want. Unfortunately I think you'll be eating a bit of crow. ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby Amazinz » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:11 am

brandnew wrote:Ohh, I love jabs at the Braves.

Career OPS's:

Brian Jordan: .798
Mike Cameron: .780

Raul Mondesi: .820
Cliff Floyd: .854

And here's the kicker!

Mr. Overrated (AKA Carlos Beltran): .844
Andruw Jones: .835

Interested in a little friendly wager that at 34 and 38 Mondesi and Jordan don't outperform Cameron and Floyd (even with Floyd's impending injury). I won't even tough the Andruw "I'm getting too fat for my uniform" Jones-Beltran comparison. ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby tiger spit » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:16 am

these 2 mets guys are so bitter its unreal.
kazmir isnt going anywhere.. why would the drays trade for another OF.. they have the most absurd depth at OF in the bigs...
Craw
Rocco
A. Sanchez
Aubrey Huff
Joey Gathright
Delmon Young
Elijah Dukes
Jonny Gomes
Jason Pridie

any team would kill to have that kind of depth w/in thier organazation. stop trying to justify the kaz/zam deal.. it was an impulse trade that if given a chance the mets front office would take it back in a heart beat... i can ask you this,, honestly, gun to your head would you still want that deal? if you say yes, you are liars... plain and simple.. zam has done nothing for you and is always hurt.. kazmir has all the upside in the world , where zam may get you 11 wins this year if healthy...thats his already known upside.. (mid road/fringe SP)
its a trade i'll tell my grandchildren about,, worst trade i can remember... :-D
tiger spit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:31 am

Uh oh you asked for it .... (runs for the hills)
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby LBJackal » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:31 am

Amazinz wrote:
LBJackal wrote:Proof to the contrary? Kazmir is locked up cheaply for a long while and is one of the top pitching prospects in baseball. Whether or not he pans out is irrelevent, even though he probably will. And V-Zam is overpaid and can't throw strikes. What more proof do I need?

That's not proof. Pitching prospects don't mean squat if they don't pan out. I'm not saying that he won't just that it remains to be seen. As far as VZam, this is his first full season with the Mets. Why don't you let the season play out a little bit than you can talk all the junk you want. Unfortunately I think you'll be eating a bit of crow. ;-)

Regardless of how good Kazmir turns out to be, he's much cheaper, and has much more potential. It's like calling all-in on 2-7 offsuit. Yeah it might work out but just because it does, doesn't mean it was a smart move. The Mets went all-in with 2-7 offsuit.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

Postby agchris02 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:34 am

correction, got my football and baseball windows confused (sorry, and I actually didnt know you couldt trade draft picks) -- cincy is asking for "four top prospects"

dont forget griffey can veto any trade
Jackalope
agchris02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby tiger spit » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:44 am

hybrid wrote:Uh oh you asked for it .... (runs for the hills)

no, for real.. each thread dk and amazin try and defend this ridiculous trade.. i sort of boiled it down to a plain question..
if the deal was offered to each of them today, would they do it? thats if they were the GM...
i'm hoping to get an honest answer from them.. not just , yeah, because kaz has a small frame and it might not hold up as a starter and there are unknown "issues" with him only seen and known by the special insider mets fans ect... bla bla bla...
i know kazmir has not established himself as an ace yet or anything really but his upside is tremendous.. zam at around 30 years of age, we know his upside.. this is it.. he was not highly touted through the minors (like kaz) , nor does he have any track record to speak of at all..this trade was so dumb , if i was a mets fan it would most likely drive me away from being a fan...
KC needs some OFers, i know they want to unload sweeney's contract.. lastings milledge CFer for the KC Royals..
tiger spit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby crapshooter » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:44 am

I'd like to see Griffey with the stros but no way I'd give up four good prospects to get him...one would be about all he's worth with all the risk associated with him
You don't have to like 'em to own 'em!!!!
crapshooter
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -38)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers