Return to Baseball Leftovers

Good at gambling? Rate these high-risk, high-payoff players!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Conner » Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:34 am

Tavish wrote:Other than perhaps Sosa and GA those guys are not high risk players. They are all falling to mid or late round picks. That not really a bad thing as it makes them all that more valuable if they do turn things around and not as much of a loss if they fall flat.

Good point.

When I think of "high risk", I'm thinking of guys like Beckett, Wood, Prior, etc..

the guys listed should really involve much risk.

Either way...I don't really have much to add for most of those players...But Giambi has looked healthy this spring, and I expect a big year out of him this year...I've also got Griffey on the bench for one of my teams, though. His upside is obvious.
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cafe_58 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:53 am

This is the first year in a while, at least according to my memory, that everyone is down on Griffey. Usually there is a decent sized minority that believe he will have a bounce back year, but this year there are just a few people.

It reminds me of Grant Hill and the situation he was in. He was an after thought, and it was laughable to say he'd play more than half a season. And now look at Grant, he's a solid player fantasy-wise and those who picked him up in late rounds are reaping the rewards.

So, my point is, if you are in the late rounds (I've seen him go around the 15-18 rounds, 12 team league) where quality picks are tough to come by, you may as well gamble and make a risky pick like Griffey. You know Griffey has as much power potential as anyone else, and that his RBIs and runs would be there if he was healthy.

Best case senario is that you have a guy that is hitting .280, 40 odd HRs, 100+ RBIs, 100+ Runs. Worst case senario is that you have an empty slot on you bench that you can use on a FA pick up. No big loss.
cafe_58
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: You can find me in da dome, chillin wit Jarome.......

Postby hybrid » Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:11 am

Seems like a bit of wishful thinking. Even Hill was only hurt for 3 years before this year, Griffey has been hurt for 4 straight years now. Hill just had his ankle as a problem, Griffey has hurt several things in the 4 year span.

If you want to keep some hope out for him, take him with the last pick .. but that's about it. Even if he is 100% this year, I don't see him putting up those numbers. He was only hitting .253 last year and I don't see that going up much since he hasn't hit for avg. in a while. Also I watched him play today and he still isn't close to full speed. He was basically jogging out there in CF and couldn't even get close to deep fly balls, not a good sign at all with the regular season not that far away.

Who knows when he will be 100% from last years injury, which will prolly bother his game overall.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers