Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cleveland's offense isn't that good

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cleveland's offense isn't that good

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:04 pm

People seem to think that Cleveland's offense is spectacular. And they were - last year. But does anyone else get the feeling that everyone had a career year all at once?

I don't think there's a player on the team I am predicting to put up similar numbers to last year.

Am I alone on this?
Absolutely Adequate
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -170)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bronxxbomber » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:12 pm

I don't know if they're spectacular, but they're definitely good. Most of the people producing were guys who were highly regarded prospects so the productions isn't a big suprise.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -11)

Postby chadlincoln » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:15 pm

I think that Casey Blake is very overlooked. I'm very high on his this year. He's starting left field and has 3B eligibility. I like Travis Hafner. Total stud. V-Mart might have had a fluke year, but he did put up decent numbers next year. With their pitching staff, they'll have to come strong with their offense. I think they'll do a lot better than you think.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -23)

Postby stumpak » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:22 pm

I am not saying Blake will bomb, but I am just curious as to the rationale that a journeyman of his age will improve at all over last season. To me, the chances of a regression are greater, but maybe there is a different point of viw on this.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Re: Cleveland's offense isn't that good

Postby donny23 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:26 pm

I disagree. When a team is so young, they don't all have their career year the same year. They are growing talents. Victor Martinez will only get better. Haffner should have another great year. Broussard has room to still grow. Crisp is only 24 and still has room to grow. Peralta is a decent young talent. Boone should have a nice comeback year. Belliard obviously overachieved. Blake might not beat his year last year, but he could certainly match it. It's just a matter of time before Sizemore hits the scene and he projects to be a great player. Their is a ton of hitting talent on that team. Sure, they might not do as well as last year, but the talent is there. This was not an issue of an entire team having career years. Other than Belliard, these are young guys that are just starting to grow. Reminds me of the old Indians team before Thome, Bell, etc made it big.

Absolutely Adequate wrote:People seem to think that Cleveland's offense is spectacular. And they were - last year. But does anyone else get the feeling that everyone had a career year all at once?

I don't think there's a player on the team I am predicting to put up similar numbers to last year.

Am I alone on this?
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby donny23 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:27 pm

I think it's the opposite. Blake might have had a bit of a fluke year, but Martinez did not. Victor Martinez has been projected to be a stud catcher for quite awhile. Blake was supposed to be a pretty good prospect but it took him years to have the year he did last year.

chadlincoln wrote:I think that Casey Blake is very overlooked. I'm very high on his this year. He's starting left field and has 3B eligibility. I like Travis Hafner. Total stud. V-Mart might have had a fluke year, but he did put up decent numbers next year. With their pitching staff, they'll have to come strong with their offense. I think they'll do a lot better than you think.
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:30 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:People seem to think that Cleveland's offense is spectacular. And they were - last year. But does anyone else get the feeling that everyone had a career year all at once?

Am I alone on this?

Im not gonna say they are spectacular - they certainly arent up there with the NY, STL, DET crowd - but they are pretty good.

Hafner is a stud - easily one of the best value picks in fantasy IMO.
Broussard is supposed to be a slugger too.
VMart could regress from such a lofty season, but he's just as likely to improve based on peak age theory.
Cereal has good tools and is a solid hitter and base runner.
Boone and Blake are x-factors.

They have a solid core of young hitters, but it will be the top and bottom of the lineup that'll bring the entire group down. Again, not a spectacular 1-9 - Ive never heard anyone claim they are that great - but they are pretty good.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -213)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ensanimal » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:33 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote: Im not gonna say they are spectacular - they certainly arent up there with the NY, STL, DET crowd - but they are pretty good.

;-7 :-D
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -152)

Postby donny23 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:36 pm

From a Yanks fan, I got an extra laugh that Detroit was listed and not Boston ;-D

ensanimal wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote: Im not gonna say they are spectacular - they certainly arent up there with the NY, STL, DET crowd - but they are pretty good.

donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:38 pm

ensanimal wrote:

:-D

I was wondering how quickly somone would take note of that. A homer can dream, cant he?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -213)
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers