Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cleveland's offense isn't that good

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Tavish » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:39 pm

djack909 wrote:The tribe in averaging almost 7 runs a game this spring. It is obvious they have a top level offense. Those youngsters didn't all have carrier years in '04.

Exactly, just like the Royals averaging 7.25 RPG so far this spring shows they are truly the class offense in the AL Central. ;-D
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pedantic » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:53 pm

The Indians' offense is good not because of the Casey Blakes, but because of the man that anchors the lineup -- the one who just happened to be the ninth best hitter in the majors last year, and the only one everyone appears to agree will only be better next year. Martinez, et al., are just icing on the cake.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -62)

Postby brandnew » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:35 am

Pedantic wrote:The Indians' offense is good not because of the Casey Blakes, but because of the man that anchors the lineup -- the one who just happened to be the ninth best hitter in the majors last year, and the only one everyone appears to agree will only be better next year. Martinez, et al., are just icing on the cake.

Yup yup, Hafner is a beast.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -11)

Postby Yoda » Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:39 am

Just curious as to why people think VMart was a fluke and/or he will regress in 05.

04 was his FIRST full season in the majors folks. Yes, that is right. He was playing the most demanding position as a full time player for the first time at the highest level. And he was pretty damn impressive.

Look at his minor league track record and there is no indication that 04 may have been a fluke. He had a 69/66 K/BB and slugged almost .500 with 23 HR and 38 2B. Rare combination of power and discipline. He was plenty clutch also in the games I saw him in.

I will go out on a limb and say he wore down towards the end of the season. I expect him to be equally or better than what we saw in 04. This kid will be the best offensive catcher for many years to come. I'd like to hear from a CLE fan's take on him.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby quietstorm » Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:15 am

Absolutely Adequate wrote:Vic Martinez can't be as good as he was last year. Over the last 50 games or so, he hit close to .250.

Yeah, because somebody playing catcher in his first full season can't be expected to trail off at the end of the season!

And, as we all know, a poor two months after three MVP-caliber months means a huge regression is in store, especially for a young player!
Your wisemen don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby daweasle » Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:03 am

in regards to the coco crisp comments:

not sure when those 29 homers before last year came.

crisp is a third year player who hit 1 in 2002 and 3 in 2003, but that's not because of anything other than a lack of ABs.

he had about 500 ABs in his career prior to last year - and the kid is 24 or 25 - he'll keep hitting the ball better and could prove to have derek jeter type numbers in the future - (20-25 HR, 25-30 SB decent 290-300 average)

now that obviously makes jeter more valuable since he plays SS but If I could get production like that from ALL my players I'd win my league every year.
daweasle
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 53)

Postby daweasle » Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:06 am

I also agree about detroits offense being much improved - I think the tigers will score more runs this year than the yankees

(yankees spring training I mean)
daweasle
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 53)

Postby SoxWillNeverWinAgain » Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:35 am

Hafner has always hit.. no matter what level. Expect 30 hrs, 120 rbs, .315 avg.

Belliard hit 48 doubles last year in 152 games. That's flat out impressive.

Coco may break out this year, especially in that potent offense.

I mention these 3 guys because they're all on my squad this year, with Hafner and Belliard starting. Go Indians!
SoxWillNeverWinAgain
College Coach
College Coach

Postby CubsFan7724 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:17 pm

They are good, not great. But they have a lot of potential on there. Hafner and Martinez especially.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -16)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers