Return to Baseball Leftovers

Shhh, i've got a sleeper . . .

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:50 pm

TheMeXiKaN wrote:Suggestion noted. I think my lack of confidence in 2B as a position is what makes Walker stand out for me. I dont feel like any one of those guys you listed is really a lock to be a solid producer. For that reason, Ill take my chances with Walker and not waste an early pick on a second baseman. I guess thats my gamblers nature kicking in. Theres no sure sure thing in Fantasy Sports B-)

I generally agree with you. There is very little value at 2B this yr - specifically when you factor in where each is being drafted. Soriano in the 1st is a joke to me. Giles in the 4th is my target - thats who I want and when I want him. Other than that - possibly Loretta if he falls far enough. Im certainly not going to take Kent or Boone in the 5-8th rds where they usually go. I might take a flyer on Figgins or Reyes if I need Sbs badly. After that there is very little reason to draft a 2B before the 14th rd or so in normal formats.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -213)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:05 pm

i have my eye on walker in a couple leagues where i am a little weak at 2b. you cant always extrapolate stats. projecting 25 homers when his career best is 15 is a bit aggessive in my opinion. still, he could prove to have decent power numbers and might be an option. another reason he generally isnt considered a fantasy starter is that most of those guys on that list above can swipe 10-15 bags in addition to hitting 10-15 homers. walker isnt likely to get more than 2-3 sb's.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -292)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheRawDAWG » Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:14 pm

From what I remember, isn't he a huge defensive liability? And if so wouldn't that make it more likely Jerry will see more and more time on the field as Dusty tires of his glove? And if he were so good why would they have platooned him with Grudzelanek?
Barry Bonds for US president.
TheRawDAWG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -27)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mustangs989 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:18 pm

TheRawDAWG wrote:From what I remember, isn't he a huge defensive liability? And if so wouldn't that make it more likely Jerry will see more and more time on the field as Dusty tires of his glove? And if he were so good why would they have platooned him with Grudzelanek?

He's not a good defensive 2B but he's not a huge liability either. Hairston will see time at many different positions this year, as he'll basically be the Cubs utility guy and play 4 or so games a week I would guess. Also I have no idea why Walker didn't start over Grudz last year, only thing I can think of is Dusty is an idiot.
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -52)

Postby ramble2 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:23 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
TheMeXiKaN wrote:Suggestion noted. I think my lack of confidence in 2B as a position is what makes Walker stand out for me. I dont feel like any one of those guys you listed is really a lock to be a solid producer. For that reason, Ill take my chances with Walker and not waste an early pick on a second baseman. I guess thats my gamblers nature kicking in. Theres no sure sure thing in Fantasy Sports B-)

I generally agree with you. There is very little value at 2B this yr - specifically when you factor in where each is being drafted. Soriano in the 1st is a joke to me. Giles in the 4th is my target - thats who I want and when I want him. Other than that - possibly Loretta if he falls far enough. Im certainly not going to take Kent or Boone in the 5-8th rds where they usually go. I might take a flyer on Figgins or Reyes if I need Sbs badly. After that there is very little reason to draft a 2B before the 14th rd or so in normal formats.

2nd base is pretty barren this year. I got Castillo in the 12th round, and was very happy about it. a .300 average and 20 SB will put a smile on my face. I also drafted K. Matsui to step in if need (or performance) dictates. I think both are good 2B to target in drafts, as they are generally available in the mid to late rounds.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -6)

Postby wrveres » Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:24 pm

Its becauuse Grudz is a better hitter ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby Mustangs989 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:28 pm

wrveres wrote:Its becauuse Grudz is a better hitter ;-D

At times yes, he had a couple bad months last year that most Cub fans felt that Walker should have started a few more games at 2B. I think some of the reason he didn't play as much was they wanted a LH hitter off the bench.
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -52)

Postby agchris02 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:56 pm

i still think utley is the best by far for the position you can draft him at -- watch he'll be a top 62b this yr
Jackalope
agchris02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DaQ » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:36 pm

Hopefully, Walker delivers like he has when he's been a full-time 2B - he can easily be top 10. I picked him with the 182nd pick or so (13th round in a 14-man league) and as of right now, he is my starter.

Just in case something happens to him, I traded for another sleeper at 2B (Orlando Hudson) and am depending on Lugo (a third sleeper? geez) to play 5 games at 2B to get his eligibility. Those guys can be OK as well, but I think since Walker should be the full-time 2B, he will do nicely.
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:44 pm

No way Jerry is going to cut into his time at 2B. If he plays it will be to rest Walker and that is it!
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -146)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers