Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby fezzik » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:07 pm

Chavez
Matsui
Young
Dunn*
Lee
Boone

*Dunn's rank varies based upon your leagues cats. If you play 5X5 with avg, then the above rankings are accurate. If you play 5X5 with OBP, then Dunn moves all the way to the top. If you play in 6X6 with avg and OPS, I would rank Dunn equivalent to Chavez and Matsui (who are ranked 30 and 31 overall on my list).
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby OREO fan » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:33 pm

this brings me to another point

i think chavez has to be one of the more overrated fantasy players in all of baseball - he does the same thing every year - .280, 30 hr, 90 r, 100rbi, 7 steals

how is this a top 3 or 4 round selection every year?? 3B is as deep as ever this year and i would take arod, rolen, beltre, blalock, ramirez, huff over him definitely - and guys like lowell and mora are not far behind - he plays in a terrible hitter's park - with 3B this deep - give me hitters like dunn and matsui over him - i ranked young ahead of him based on position as well - i even expect c lee to put up better numbers
OREO fan
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -8)

Postby so0perspam » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:38 pm

OREO fan wrote:this brings me to another point

i think chavez has to be one of the more overrated fantasy players in all of baseball - he does the same thing every year - .280, 30 hr, 90 r, 100rbi, 7 steals

how is this a top 3 or 4 round selection every year?? 3B is as deep as ever this year and i would take arod, rolen, beltre, blalock, ramirez, huff over him definitely - and guys like lowell and mora are not far behind - he plays in a terrible hitter's park - with 3B this deep - give me hitters like dunn and matsui over him - i ranked young ahead of him based on position as well - i even expect c lee to put up better numbers

Maybe you haven't noticed his much improved plate discipline (65 BB in '02 ---> 95 BB in '04) and upward trend in both OBP (.348 in '02 --> .397 in '03) and OPS (.860 in '02 --> .898in '03). Do you even notice that he hit 29 HR last season in 113 less AB's? If he would have been healthy the whole season in 2004, he would have approached 40 HR's. He'll be hitting 105+ RBI and batting .290, watch.
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -75)

Postby fezzik » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:46 pm

OREO fan wrote:this brings me to another point

Well...the fact he plays in a terrible hitter's park means nothing to me, since he's played there his whole career.

Here are his numbers from last year (only 125 games):

.276 87R's 29HR's 77RBI's 6SB's

I have him projected at somewhere around...

.280 100R's 35HR's 110RBI's 8SB's

In my rankings I have Chavez, Matsui, Young, and Dunn all very close...but looking at what Chavez should be able to do over an entire season, I have him ranked just ahead of them.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby OREO fan » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:49 pm

his increased walks i am sure in part have to do with the fact that the a's keep trading away their other hitters to the point that he has nobody else in the lineup to protect him

even if he increases his hr total to 35 this year - it will be very tough for him to crack both 100 r and rbi in that park with that mediocre lineup around him - something i certainly expect from dunn, matsui, and many other 3B

combine that with a consistently lower average than all of the aforementioned players (except dunn) and i would rather let someone else believe the hype surrounding him and grab ramirez or huff a couple of rounds later
OREO fan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby fezzik » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:52 pm

OREO fan wrote:combine that with a consistently lower average than all of the aforementioned players (except dunn) and i would rather let someone else believe the hype surrounding him and grab ramirez or huff a couple of rounds later

If you think Ramirez or Huff would be available in the 5th or 6th round, then by all means wait. They've been going a lot earlier than that in all my drafts.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Phatferd » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:58 pm

Ramirez has been going top 3 usually in mine, but 6th is just about right for Huff...

Also, if you are talking about Chavez' production increasing since '02, you have to look at Young's numbers also, which have increased. He did better without AROD then with. His production has gone up too and he has a better ballpark and lineup to protect him.

If you look at Young and Chavez and their position scarcity, Young is the better player IMO.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -25)

Postby OREO fan » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:01 pm

cbs sportsline experts mock draft (i know people in this forum don't think much of experts but it is the first thing i can find)

chavez - 3rd round (30th overall)

huff - 5th round (59th overall)

ramirez - 7th round (74th overall)

its the moneyball chavez hype
OREO fan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bselig » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:04 pm

real or fantasy? as far as fantasy goes i think you have to take either michael young or dunn first; chavez probably comes in third
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby fezzik » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:05 pm

OREO fan wrote:cbs sportsline experts mock draft (i know people in this forum don't think much of experts but it is the first thing i can find)

chavez - 3rd round (30th overall)

huff - 5th round (59th overall)

ramirez - 7th round (74th overall)

its the moneyball chavez hype

Okay. Well in my drafts, ARam goes mid/late third.

Chavez goes late third/early fourth

Huff goes late fourth/early fifth

ARam in the 7th is pretty silly...IMO
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers