Return to Baseball Leftovers

Juan Pierre... healthy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Juan Pierre... healthy?

Postby jkpigskin » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:22 pm

i traded for him cause i needed speed and a consistent bat.. he is a semi-iron man who has played every inning of every game for 2 years... but as u may have heard he has a calf injury that hasnt gone away...

should i wait this out and expect him to be better?? or ship him for some "safer speed" (haha that doesnt sound right)

and does anybody have some news on him from some florida paper or such.. thanks

best keeper team ever!
jkpigskin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:24 pm

Here's Fanball's take:

Yahoo! player update thingy wrote:Mar 23 Marlins outfielder Juan Pierre left a March 7 game after straining a muscle in his right calf, and he still hasn't returned. The Marlins had hoped to have him back in the lineup on Friday but said he won't play until next week, according to the Palm Beach Post. "I certainly thought he's [sic] be available now,'' manager Jack McKeon said. "When it first happened, I didn't think it was that serious, and it may not be. I don't know.'' As far as Opening Day, general manager Larry Beinfest said, "Nobody on our medical staff has altered us to be concerned."

Views: Last season, Pierre hit .326 and stole 45 bases, but the previous year he nabbed 65. With his speed, it's almost impossible for him to hit below .295. But we've become a bit worried about Pierre's injured calf. After all, he relies on his legs like most people rely on oxygen. If you're drafting this week, be careful valuing Pierre. While we still think he's a top-15 outfielder, we worry how a lingering injury might affect his numbers.

I've been told it doesn't look good by members of the Cafe...maybe you should try to re-trade him for someone else. :-o
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -250)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby kimchi_chigae » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:52 am

florida paper? we got them... :-)

Injury of Marlins' Pierre causes concern

By Michael Russo
Staff Writer
Posted March 23 2005

JUPITER -- Considering he's coming off a season in which he was the only player in the majors to play every inning of his team's games, it's becoming increasingly glaring -- and disconcerting -- that Marlins center fielder Juan Pierre hasn't played a spring training game in 16 days.

The speedy leadoff hitter continues to be sidelined by a strained right calf muscle, and with less than two weeks until Opening Day, manager Jack McKeon told Pierre on Tuesday to "stay off of it."

"Let's try that remedy for a day or two," McKeon said.

Even though General Manager Larry Beinfest said the Marlins' medical staff hasn't given any reason to think Pierre won't be ready by the April 5 opener against the Braves, it's clear there are mounting concerns.

"I thought he'd certainly be available by now," McKeon said. "When it first happened [March 7], I didn't think it was that serious. And it might not be. I don't know. But I thought he'd be ready to go by today.

"He's basically the only one who can tell us how it is."

Pierre refuses to talk about the injury publicly.

Asked if he is concerned, Beinfest said, "Well, he's still unavailable, and it's obviously still bothering him."

With a major league-worst .228 batting average, the Marlins' offense has lagged without Pierre, who set a franchise record with 221 hits last season and led the majors with 65 steals in 2003. The Marlins lost Tuesday 5-3 to the Los Angeles Dodgers to fall to 6-15 this spring.

"[Pierre's] an important ingredient in that lineup," McKeon said. "You look at us now, we're not getting that leadoff guy on and causing havoc at the top of the lineup. That's missing right now. He's a threat. He starts our offense."

But the Marlins are going to be cautious.

"A big part of Juan's game is his legs, and they have to be healthy," Beinfest said. "With two weeks to go, that'll be the goal."

If Pierre isn't ready by Opening Day, Juan Encarnacion, who started in center Tuesday, is an option, and well as Chris Aguila.

yeah...it doesn't look too good...

my advice is...if you are playing in a league in with pretty good owners...they prolly know about pierre's injury and won't give you much value for him right now...the best thing would be to wait a little and see how serious this really is...if you want to trade him...pretend nothing is wrong with him...i mean, don't just trade him away for a bag of balls...
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby Patoons » Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:13 am

[quote="kimchi_chigae"]florida paper? we got them... :-)

[quote]

my advice is...if you are playing in a league in with pretty good owners...they prolly know about pierre's injury and won't give you much value for him right now...the best thing would be to wait a little and see how serious this really is...if you want to trade him...pretend nothing is wrong with him...i mean, don't just trade him away for a bag of balls...[/quote]

Whats the fair value of Pierre at this point?
Patoons
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby kimchi_chigae » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:59 pm

Patoons wrote:
kimchi_chigae wrote:florida paper? we got them... :-)

my advice is...if you are playing in a league in with pretty good owners...they prolly know about pierre's injury and won't give you much value for him right now...the best thing would be to wait a little and see how serious this really is...if you want to trade him...pretend nothing is wrong with him...i mean, don't just trade him away for a bag of balls...

Whats the fair value of Pierre at this point?

pierre is a 4th rounder IMO. if you can get people like vernon wells or AJ burnett, or k-rod...i think you are getting good value in return.

bear in mind the season hasn't started yet and he could very well be ready for opening day...
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Return to Baseball Leftovers