Return to Baseball Leftovers

Head 2 Head Strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Head 2 Head Strategy

Postby Jimbo OZ » Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:58 pm

I know in rotisserie it is a very bad idea to dump a category completely. Does this also apply for H2H leagues. the scoring system is:

Batting:
R, HR, RBI, SB, AVE, OPS

Pitching:
W, K, SV, HLD, ERA, WHIP

I'm thinking that unless you have a top closer or two, you can dump saves by picking up top midlle relievers. this will help ensure you win HLD, ERA, and WHIP each week. The same thing applies somewhat to SBs.

What are your thoughts?
Jimbo OZ
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:04 pm

H2H is were punting Saves and SBs is most common. Not a big fan of it personally because it's pretty easy to have a shot at the category each week.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby bost0n » Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:36 pm

I agree with the above and the fact that even if you punt them, it doesnt mean youre going to win the rest of the categories. From experience, it seems like my teams dont do any better than punt steals and/or saves than the ones that just play it straight up.

1 category is a lot to give up each week.
cross your fingers for missouri
bost0n
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Jimbo OZ » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:24 pm

Thanks for the tips. My problem is that I autodrafted my team and so only ended up with one decent closer. It is likely that I will lose both of this category each week anyways.

Therefore, I see I have two options:

1. I accept that I lose this category anyways and trade that decent closer for an upgrade at other positions to help improve my chances in the other categories.

2. I keep the closer and continuously fish through the free agent pool to try and snag replacement closers throughout the season.

What do you reckon?
Jimbo OZ
College Coach
College Coach

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:32 pm

Try picking up someone like Gonzalez who might take over for Mesa, and will still give you excellent WHIP and ERA, and UUU, who is a Percival injury away or a trade away from closing.
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -12)

Postby Mercer Boy » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:35 pm

I reckon you done go lookin' thru the WW to find a closer that pops up during the season...apparently they always do (I don't know because I haven't played before, but that's the impression I get). ;-D

I don't think you want to punt a category...at least get some help in everything because you may win it once in a while.
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -250)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Jury » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:48 pm

I don't recommend punting saves. You didn't name your "decent" closer, but look for Mike Adams (Mil) or Affeldt (KC) or such closers from the WW. If there's nothing there, just hang in and you should be able to somehow acquire a second closer during the season.

As long as you play 2 closers and everyone else plays 2 closers in H2H, you have a decent chance of winning SV from week to week. Saves often come in streaks just like SB.

In H2H, I usually punt saves because we use OPS instead of BA have TB as a category, so unless I can get a Beltran-type, I prefer to stick with the big sticks in my lineup and give up the one speed category.
The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Postby AznHisoka » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:52 pm

Check out the other teams in your league. See if there're a handful of teams who have 1 or no closers like you. If so, I'd try and get another closer. If everyone else seems to have you beat in saves, then I'd punt it. I ain't afraid of punting. In fact, I play in a 4 X4 H2H league with no WHIP category, and I intend to punt ERA. I plan to win W's, and K's every week by starting 3 SP's I pick off waivers everyday.
AznHisoka
College Coach
College Coach

Postby pomplona's finest » Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:01 pm

I can see why someone would resort to punting a category when the opportunity presents itself, but it most all cases it would be more beneficial for the team to fight for the cat regardless. Fish through free agency throughout the year and become a saves scavenger, try to execute a trade to bolster your reliever corps.
AKA IRON CHEF

Member #5 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
pomplona's finest
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -6)

Postby Jimbo OZ » Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:53 pm

The problem I see in becoming a "saves scavenger" is that you invariably pick up someone like Chacon last year. He ends up helping you win some saves but kills you in WHIP and ERA.
Jimbo OZ
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers