Return to Baseball Leftovers

Redding acquired by padres

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Redding acquired by padres

Postby agchris02 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:22 pm

Redding was just traded to San Diego by houston, where he's going to join the rotation

Comments on just how much this jumps his value?
Jackalope
agchris02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby saxeT1979 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:23 pm

Who are the Astros getting in return?
saxeT1979
College Coach
College Coach

Re: Redding acquired by padres

Postby wrveres » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:28 pm

agchris02 wrote:Redding was just traded to San Diego by houston, where he's going to join the rotation

Comments on just how much this jumps his value?

he will pitch number five ...

huge boost in Reddings value .. ;-D

who did we give up ..

brb..
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby wrveres » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:29 pm

Righthander Tim Redding has been traded by the Astros to the San Diego Padres in exchange for catcher Humberto Quintero.
"(General manager) Tim (Purpura) and (manager) Phil (Garner) are doing me a favor. Redding said. "I appreciate that they are sending me to a team that is in contention for the National League West."

Redding, who was up for the fifth spot in Houston's rotation, was drafted by the Astros in the 20th round in 1997 and has played four seasons in the majors.

Quintero, who has played in two major league seasons, was acquired by San Diego from the White Sox in 1997.

"(Quintero) is a plus-plus arm ... (He's) a very good defensive catcher," Purpura said.

Ezequiel Astacio, Brandon Duckworth and Dave Burba remain the contenders for the Astros fifth spot in the rotation. Left-handed pitcher Carlos Hernandez, who was demoted to Round Rock last week, is still in the mix for the fifth spot.

The Astros don't need a fifth starter until April 17 because of two days off in the first two weeks of the season.

Quintero, 25, hit .250 with two home runs and 10 RBI in 23 games for San Diego in 2004. In 35 career Major League games over two seasons with the Padres from 2003-04, he has hit .242 with two home runs and 12 RBI.

Quintero played 68 games at Triple A Portland in 2004, hitting .317 with five home runs, 30 RBI, and 25 doubles. He was previously acquired by the Padres from the Chicago White Sox on July 12, 2002, along with outfielder Alex Fernandez in exchange for infielder D’Angelo Jimenez.

Redding, 27, was 21-28 with a 4.75 ERA in 91 games (72 starts) over his four Major League seasons with the Astros from 2001-04.

He recorded a career-high 10 wins in 2003, finishing 10-14 with a 3.68 ERA in 33 games (32 starts). In 2004, Redding was 5-7 with a 5.72 ERA in 27 games (17 starts). He also posted a 1-3 mark with a 6.04 ERA at Triple A New Orleans last year.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby agchris02 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:32 pm

thanks, im just trying to decide who to drop right now, looks like c young is getting the boot, though i really like him, redding is going to a pitchers park
Jackalope
agchris02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wrveres » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:42 pm

Kevin Towers was just saying in this mornings paper that the number five spot was wide open and he was not happy with May.

I like this trade.
Redding is young and if he can cut down on his BB's he could be a solid pitcher this season

this is this mornings paper on May.

MESA, Ariz. – The search for a No. 5 starting pitcher continues.

Darrell May remains a candidate, but manager Bruce Bochy reiterated yesterday that May's poor results have injected life into the competition, and General Manager Kevin Towers confirmed that May's pitch speed is a concern.

On Saturday, May got only two outs and gave up eight runs. His fastball averaged 84 mph on one radar gun and 82 on another; Towers said that May averaged 87 mph a year ago when he went 9-19 with a 5.61 ERA for Kansas City.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mcqfesijiba » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:44 pm

Still can't say I would be too excited about him in a 12 team league or less. He has talent based on 2003 and occasional minor league succes, but he was just plain bad last year. He is probably an upgrade over Darrell May, though, whom entered the spring as the favorite for the 5th starter. So I think his value jumps from pretty much nothing to a late round flyer in deep leagues.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -450)

Postby slomo007 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:45 pm

Good trade for the Padres....but this is pretty irrelevant for fantasy leaguers in normal mixed leagues.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Postby thaklanksta » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:51 pm

Stros fan here.

Reddings biggest problem has been control but part of that is his head. He has very very good stuff and if he gets a shot at that 5th spot, he will be a huge sleeper IMO. He just needed a fresh start and what better ballpark for him to land in.
thaklanksta
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -6)

Postby CrazyPooja90 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:58 pm

Big boost for Redding in NL only leagues, small one in deep mix leagues.

Also, in deep NL only leagues, give a small boost to Duckworth (I deem him the favorite to get the 5th slot)

Good trade for the Padres, senseless on the Astros, who have defensive catchers?
"I'm going to meet the greatest umpire of all, and he knows I'm innocent."

-Shoeless Joe Jackson
CrazyPooja90
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -30)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers