Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dusty Baker is a MORON!!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jaronson » Sat May 10, 2003 5:57 pm

I was at that Iowa Cubs game last night. Beck was throwing sh-moke...Catcher dropped the ball on a strikeout and then threw the ball over the 1st Baseman's head. Hence, the "extra" K!
jaronson
College Coach
College Coach

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby smallface99 » Sat May 10, 2003 6:09 pm

Dusty Baker is one of the, if not the, best manager in the game. Period. What he did in SF was incredible and give him a few years and the Cubs will return to glory (after how many years?). Wood is a gamer and very well could have played a huge role in the decision to stay in the game. Dusty Baker is by no means a moron, as a Giants fan I would take him back in a second (no offense to Alou who has done an excellent job).
Jon
PS-I got Remlinger in my league, so no complaint from me about the results :)
smallface99

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby jwhands » Sat May 10, 2003 6:30 pm

It's this simple.....

Dusty Baker is NOT the best manager in baseball. He IS the best out of getting the most from his players. However, he has to be one of the worst at managing a staff. Look at when the Giants played the Mets in 2000. Both Nen and Felix wound up with dead arms because of too much use during the season, and it wound up costing the Giants that series. Last year he finally started managing pitchers a little better, and it got him in the World Series.

Being a Cubs fan, I was a little skeptical when the Cubs hired Dusty. I new he'd make them a winner, but I'm scared that he is going to destroy some solid young arms in the long run.
Jody, Jody Davis. Hits 'em high and far. Jody, Jody Davis. He's a superstar. Holy Cow!!!! http://www.stinkytee.com
jwhands
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -150)

Postby jdh » Sat May 10, 2003 6:35 pm

Apparently, this is the highest pitch count ever run up by Wood, and his previous highest was 133, and that was 5 years ago before he got injured. Letting him run up a count like that is just pure managerial ineptitude and is begging for an injury.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby OldBloodhound » Sat May 10, 2003 6:55 pm

I'd trade Dusty for Bob Boone of the Reds in a heartbeat. Until you've endured Boone's micro-managing ways, You've no idea how frustrating a "moronic" manager can be. At least Baker has won-you may not agree with some decisions, but he HAS been sucessful. Having said that...That IS one heck of a lot of pitches! Maybe he lost count...
"...And this one belongs to the Reds!"
OldBloodhound
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Guest » Sat May 10, 2003 7:09 pm

jdh wrote:Apparently, this is the highest pitch count ever run up by Wood, and his previous highest was 133, and that was 5 years ago before he got injured. Letting him run up a count like that is just pure managerial ineptitude and is begging for an injury.

that's it. only 60 pitches for prior on monday/tuesday. dusty needs to get proverbially slapped on the wrist with a ruler.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby BobbyRoberto » Sat May 10, 2003 8:02 pm

I think Dusty Baker is more known for his success at "player relations" than other parts of the managerial job. He seems to get good seasons out of players you wouldn't expect good seasons from. I don't think he's a great manager because he wastes roster spots on useless players (Shawon Dunston last year, Neifi Perez this year, among others) and seems to have a desire to let crappy veteran firstbasemen block promising young firstbasemen on the teams he manages (J.T. Snow over Damon Minor, Eric Karros over H.S. Choi). In San Fran, he ran Livan Hernandez out there for 120+ pitches many times. Letting Wood throw 141 is utterly ridiculous, especially consdiring what's happened with A.J. Burnett and Josh Beckett in the last week. What I'm surprised about is that Wood only pitched 7 innings, giving up 4 hits and 3 walks, and STILL threw that many pitches. I didn't see the game, but he must have been struggling with his control all game. After hearing he threw 141, I thought he must have gone at least 9, maybe 10 innings.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: -13)

Postby jaronson » Sat May 10, 2003 8:22 pm

AND...Doesn't Larry Rothschild(Cubs Pitching Coach) have a say in this, too?
jaronson
College Coach
College Coach

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -3)

Postby HOOTIE » Sun May 11, 2003 2:39 am

smallface99 wrote:Dusty Baker is one of the, if not the, best manager in the game. Period. What he did in SF was incredible and give him a few years and the Cubs will return to glory (after how many years?). Wood is a gamer and very well could have played a huge role in the decision to stay in the game. Dusty Baker is by no means a moron, as a Giants fan I would take him back in a second (no offense to Alou who has done an excellent job).

Baker yes is a good mgr. However, hes close to the worst in pitch counts. In last 4 years, Baker lead in 2 of them in pitch counts over 120. BB America just hit the stands with Prior on cover with pitch counts as a story.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 495)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Madison » Sun May 11, 2003 4:00 am

I agree that 141 pitches is too much. I have no idea what some manager's thought processes are, but 141 is too many for any pitcher including, Unit, Schilling, Colon.......anyone.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers