Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dusty Baker is a MORON!!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby cincyreds » Sun May 11, 2003 9:46 am

I don't understand it. Why any manager would let any pitcher throw his many pitches?? 141 pitches!!

If I were Kerry Woods agent, I'd be on the phone with the Cubs front office asking, "what the H-bomb is going on?!"

Long term, this is not good for Kerry.

It is a shame, a crime shame what Dusty did. No excuse whatsoever!!

:-t
The BIG RED Machine will rise again.
cincyreds
Member #1000
Member #1000

(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

um

Postby rjforlife » Sun May 11, 2003 10:03 am

kerry is a big boy if he couldnt handle it he would have done something about it. hes a huge man and guys like rj/clemens have thrown pitch counts that high. players used to throw 200 pitches easy. im not saying that is what they should do but going nuts for 141 is a little sissy in my mind. wood isnt a 20 year boy now hes a big man and he can handle a big mans workload. GO BIG OR GO HOME.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 247)

Re: um

Postby HOOTIE » Sun May 11, 2003 1:56 pm

rjforlife wrote:kerry is a big boy if he couldnt handle it he would have done something about it. hes a huge man and guys like rj/clemens have thrown pitch counts that high. players used to throw 200 pitches easy. im not saying that is what they should do but going nuts for 141 is a little sissy in my mind. wood isnt a 20 year boy now hes a big man and he can handle a big mans workload. GO BIG OR GO HOME.

Really? Hes still only 25. Btw, where is the evidence that guys threw 200 all the time? I have never seen it. Clemens and RJ are well past 25 anyways, so thats a moot point. Since 1988, 172 is the highest pitch count. Its very hard to hit 200 pitches in 9 innings, because no one averages 22 pitches every inning. Its happened, but rarely. In 1995, when Wood was a senior in hs, just after being drafted, he threw 146 pitches in game 1, then started game 2 with another 29. 175 pitches in 1 day for a kid 18. That hs coach should be banned from ever coaching. One only needs to look at Woods rebuilt arm to wonder if things could have been different. USC, which is great with handling pitchers, never let Prior exceed 115 at USC. You cant compare innings now to innings in different eras. In the 1930s, a 9 inning game averaged 115 pitches. Now its a 150 average in 9 innings. That means 7 innings now is = to 9 innings then.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 495)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Nero » Sun May 11, 2003 2:53 pm

I frankly don't care how many innings he does it in...

141 in THIS day and age is far too many especially for a guy that has a history of SERIOUS arm damage...

When I saw 141 I got on the horn and moved him this very morning
Nero
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby stimples16 » Sun May 11, 2003 3:45 pm

Put simply: Dusty Baker is an idiot. There seroiusly cant be any arguments about this. He got lucky with a VERY talented team last year and still couldn't drag out the win. The end results of the season: Nenn is basically done for. The same is going to happen in Chicago, Baker should be locked up. Though I'm a Cards fan and could care less about the Cubs, its sad that by the time that Dusty is done in Chicago hes probably going to have ruined the careers of three very promising young pitchers.
stimples16
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jdh » Sun May 11, 2003 3:47 pm

If you were able to trade Wood for Prior would you do it? I know that it is going from one Cubs pitcher to another, but it looks like Prior's pitch counts are a little more reasonable.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby HOOTIE » Sun May 11, 2003 5:32 pm

jdh wrote:If you were able to trade Wood for Prior would you do it? I know that it is going from one Cubs pitcher to another, but it looks like Prior's pitch counts are a little more reasonable.

In a non keeper its close, but in a keeper i take Prior. Prior has the advantage of not having a rebuilt arm, better mechanics, and a much better history of being treated better as a kid.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 495)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

h

Postby rjforlife » Sun May 11, 2003 7:22 pm

in a keeper i would take prior over any pitcher, dusty or not, and in a 1 year league too. and why can we not compare pitch counts from different eras? were those guys like walter johnson not human males or something....if they can do it why can kerry wood not? im wondering if you have an answer please respond.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 247)

Postby Nero » Sun May 11, 2003 8:19 pm

for many reasons

1) less pitch types and less strain on the elbow

2) no pitching coaches, guys threw however they were comfortable, not molded into what is considering a good pitching position yet might be bad for them

3) didn't grow up in little leagues, AAU, college etc...meaning, they didn't have strain on their arms as children which is what is the root of most arm problems

just to name a few
Nero
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers