Return to Baseball Leftovers

Test BRIAN ROBERTS right now...........

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LouisC9999 » Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:43 pm

18th-round draft pick just because I wanted "a 2nd baseman who could steal some bases..." ;-D ;-D ;-D

I lead my league in HRs and Thome hasn't even started yet.
LouisC9999
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Spartans Rule » Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:28 pm

LouisC9999 wrote:18th-round draft pick just because I wanted "a 2nd baseman who could steal some bases..." ;-D ;-D ;-D

Sounds like me... I got him in the 22nd round of my 10-teamer. Was looking for cheap steals and I figured if I can get them from a guy with 2B eligibility, all the better.

Last year I picked him up as a fill-in for that stretch where he stole about 10 bases in a week, then sat him as he struggled the rest of the year.
Spartans Rule
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:33 pm

SouthBronxBombers wrote:40/40? 15/25 or 30 maybe. He'll probably wind up with a better year than people thought but baseball history is full of two week wonders. Let's see what he is doing a month from now.

Truer words have never been spoken. ;-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -436)

Postby free » Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:39 pm

CB4MiamiHeat wrote:You dont know how much it sucks having to face this guy in H2H league

2Hr 8rbi 5sb

.500 avg. .600 obp :~(

that does suck :-[
Member #3 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club
free
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -16)

Postby GSes » Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:48 pm

Frances The Mute wrote:If roberts does this for another couple weeks the 40/40 talk can officially start. Yea its rare, Whos gonna argue that he can't or couldnt steal 40 bags going in to the season -- can he hit 40 hrs? Well looks like he might have developed power. He did hit 50 doubles last year and hes 27 third year inteh league etc etc. Thats a nice lineup hes in too.

He's already in a small group that has the potential to potentially 40/40.

you must be joking?? are u the presidrent of the brian roberts fan club? dude, this Brian ROBERTS, he has NEVER shown any power since the day he poped out of the woom. yes maybe he can hit for average ge did hit 295 after the break last year, but he only stole 7 after the breakafter stealing 22 before.

the Homer's and RBI's will NOT continue.

he is the ultimate sell high guy, because he will not hit anymore then 15 homers at best, and he will not steal anymore then 30-35 bases.

At best I belive he will go

110 runs
15 HR
60 RBI
35 SB
290 avg

and that is an AWESOME season. That is a top fantasy second basemen actually, but I don't think he is going to be able to do that and THERE IS NO way he is going to do what your are saying

40/40?

are Fricking joking me, he has like 8 career homers b4 this yeaR? YOU DO now go from 4HR to 40. thats not possible, he not even that young where his power is developing still, at 27 he should have prety much shown all the power he is capable of.

Now players can have career years and surpass what you would ever expect like that year Lo Duca hit 25 Homers.

but there is no way he will go 40/0

no way he goes 30/30

no way he even hits 20 homers. thats ridiculous.

on rotoworld it even said Roberts HIMSELF, said that his home run stretch is a "fluke"
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Frances The Mute » Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:58 pm

Thats your opinion.

Throwing around self-stated "impossibilities" is stupid.

Right now nobody knows why hes jacking moonshots off of good pitchers -- not you -- unless your god.

If anyones gonna get 40/40 they might be doing what lil' brian is doing right now.

Is anyone saying 40/40 is likely? Not that I've read anywhere -- but hes doing the right thing now.
Frances The Mute
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:01 pm

GSes wrote:
Frances The Mute wrote:If roberts does this for another couple weeks the 40/40 talk can officially start. Yea its rare, Whos gonna argue that he can't or couldnt steal 40 bags going in to the season -- can he hit 40 hrs? Well looks like he might have developed power. He did hit 50 doubles last year and hes 27 third year inteh league etc etc. Thats a nice lineup hes in too.

you must be joking?? are u the presidrent of the brian roberts fan club? dude, this Brian ROBERTS, he has NEVER shown any power since the day he poped out of the woom. yes maybe he can hit for average ge did hit 295 after the break last year, but he only stole 7 after the breakafter stealing 22 before.

the Homer's and RBI's will NOT continue.

he is the ultimate sell high guy, because he will not hit anymore then 15 homers at best, and he will not steal anymore then 30-35 bases.

At best I belive he will go

110 runs
15 HR
60 RBI
35 SB
290 avg

and that is an AWESOME season. That is a top fantasy second basemen actually, but I don't think he is going to be able to do that and THERE IS NO way he is going to do what your are saying

40/40?

are Fricking joking me, he has like 8 career homers b4 this yeaR? YOU DO now go from 4HR to 40. thats not possible, he not even that young where his power is developing still, at 27 he should have prety much shown all the power he is capable of.

Now players can have career years and surpass what you would ever expect like that year Lo Duca hit 25 Homers.

but there is no way he will go 40/0

no way he goes 30/30

no way he even hits 20 homers. thats ridiculous.

on rotoworld it even said Roberts HIMSELF, said that his home run stretch is a "fluke"

You say sell high, and then you project him out to be a top 3 2b. That doesn't make sense at all.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -16)

Postby Phatferd » Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:11 pm

I think people are bitter that they wasted a top pick on the likes of Giles, Loretta, Vidro, Boone, and so forth while people like myself and others in this thread waited and waited and waited and filled other spots then pounced on Brian Roberts like a ball shot off his bat.

I don't think he is anywhere near 40HR, but I love all these people saying sell high. He is a legit 2bman who will only help your team and he will obviously slow down from this pace, but he will still be on a nice pace for the remainder of the year. He is only 27!!!! Can't a guy finally put it all together?

There always has to be a player who comes on like gang busters every year otherwise the talent pool in MLB would dwindle when people retire. It's a cycle and he happens to be one of those "new guys."

Look at Michael Young for example. 2 years ago he was some second basemen for the Rangers who was nothing. He never had pop or hit above 270. Now he is a legit top 15 hitter in the AL who does nothing but make contact with some pop.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -25)

Postby jayman » Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:14 pm

I think you should take a look at the current list of 40/40 players and then try to explain how a man who hit 50whatever doubles immediately deserve consideration because he has a great week? He hit 5 homers all of last season! Soriano and Vlad couldn't do it with a week left in the season! Brian Roberts????

And, I was serious, MLB should test him. If the power is legit, he's either juicing it or Sammy kept a few bats and handed them out to his new buddy.
jayman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby -1FA- » Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:33 pm

The best thing to do with Roberts right now is enjoy the ride. If he's on anyones team he's gotta be there for runs and steals.

Runs and steals will be there all year....Enjoy the added production and consider it icing on the cake.

I'd only trade Roberts at his high right now to obtain a soriano. And I doubt anyone would make that move. Plus Roberts, in my opinion will have more steals than Sori.

Enjoy the joyride.
-1FA-
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers