Return to Baseball Leftovers

Test BRIAN ROBERTS right now...........

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby GSes » Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:35 pm

I have Brian Roberts on a couple of my teams, so saying i am jelous i watsed a pick on a top tier 2B makes no sense.

Next thing, 40/40 is so ABSURD its not even funny. When I projected him as a top 3 2B, I said that is AT BEST what he could do, but i don't think he will. He is not going to hit 20 Homers, he will be lucky if he hits 15 homers. He has had 2 great weeks, not month. 2 weeks. He won't steal more then 30 bases, he never has and the Orioles don't run that much to begin with, and once all the oriles mashers start hitting homers, Mazzeli wil be more inclined to have Roberts wait to be driven in rather steal every time he gets on base. This guy is a classic example of sell high, he will fall off, Roberts has done this before, i remember one month last season he had a huge hot streak and stole like 10+ bases in one month hitting over 350, then he had a stretch where he hit like 220. People who think he is just going to keep up this magic all year, are compltely crazy, i'm sorry to say.

He is not going to hit more then 15 homers or steal more then 30 bases or hit over 300 or hit 100 rbi.

100 runs? that is the only lock for brian roberts

100 runs
12 homers
60 rbi
30sb
285avg

is about what you should expect at the end of the year, trade him now to the people who think he is going to go 40/40 or 30/30, they are the ppl who end up at the bottom of the standings at the end of the season.
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GSes » Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:37 pm

-1FA- wrote:The best thing to do with Roberts right now is enjoy the ride. If he's on anyones team he's gotta be there for runs and steals.

Runs and steals will be there all year....Enjoy the added production and consider it icing on the cake.

I'd only trade Roberts at his high right now to obtain a soriano. And I doubt anyone would make that move. Plus Roberts, in my opinion will have more steals than Sori.

Enjoy the joyride.

thats just it, im saying trade him if u can get a Soriano or Kent or Giles (if you feel he is gonna get healthy)

The thing is if people really believe he is going to go 40/40 then they will trade Soriano straight up for Roberts no problem.
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pochucker » Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:54 pm

I drafted him and Vidro to backup Reyes and for one to be MI depending whether I need speed or power. Needless to say Vidros on my bench.
Word of caution_ Roberts had huge two week hot streak last year at almost same time! Got 1/2 of his sb in one week. (I had him then too)
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -9)

Postby Vanter » Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:01 am

BritSox wrote:Best FA pickup EVAH!!!

Have to second that. ;-D I'm also just trying to enjoy the ride while it last.
Vanter
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby FlawedReasoning » Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:33 am

I like the B-Rob nickname.
FlawedReasoning
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BostonBK7 » Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:34 am

Frances The Mute wrote:He most certainly won't contine this pace (what like 70 hr pace?) But how do you fake the power? Anyone see his hrs? The ones I've seen have been friggin moonshots, against solid pitchers -- why would that power disappear.

Yeah, I was watching Sportscenter couple days ago and saw him absolutely kill one and was like Brian WHO? Looked more like Barry Bonds. Kind of surprising because he not big at all but yeah I would agree he has the power.
BostonBK7
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -7)

Postby Phatferd » Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:49 am

GSes wrote:I have Brian Roberts on a couple of my teams, so saying i am jelous i watsed a pick on a top tier 2B makes no sense.

Next thing, 40/40 is so ABSURD its not even funny. When I projected him as a top 3 2B, I said that is AT BEST what he could do, but i don't think he will. He is not going to hit 20 Homers, he will be lucky if he hits 15 homers. He has had 2 great weeks, not month. 2 weeks. He won't steal more then 30 bases, he never has and the Orioles don't run that much to begin with, and once all the oriles mashers start hitting homers, Mazzeli wil be more inclined to have Roberts wait to be driven in rather steal every time he gets on base. This guy is a classic example of sell high, he will fall off, Roberts has done this before, i remember one month last season he had a huge hot streak and stole like 10+ bases in one month hitting over 350, then he had a stretch where he hit like 220. People who think he is just going to keep up this magic all year, are compltely crazy, i'm sorry to say.

He is not going to hit more then 15 homers or steal more then 30 bases or hit over 300 or hit 100 rbi.

100 runs? that is the only lock for brian roberts

100 runs
12 homers
60 rbi
30sb
285avg

is about what you should expect at the end of the year, trade him now to the people who think he is going to go 40/40 or 30/30, they are the ppl who end up at the bottom of the standings at the end of the season.

I never said he will hit 40HR, I said I think he hits 15 just like you, but I think you are high if you think he won't get more than 30sb? He had almost that last year and he is still 27, so it's not like hes losing speed. Most basestealers steal their career highs around this age.

You need to stop saying he wont, he wont, he wont. The dude can, he has the abiltiy and the talent to be a 300, 15, 60RBI (maybe more if he werent the leadoff hitter) and score 115 runs in that lineup.

What you keep missing out on, is he isn't doing this against scrubs, he is hitting very good pitchers. Another thing is he is walking at a good pace and not striking out. Yes it is early and those things can change, but his plate discipline has improved.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -25)

Postby Dusk2k2 » Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:55 am

I've been doing fantasy baseball for the past three years, and I'm sure many of you have been doing it since the early 90's or so. So, my question is, What did everyone say when Brady Anderson hit those 50 HR's? Were people selling him high and then kicking themselves later? Did people say the HR's wouldn't last?

My projected stats for B-Rob, at this moment, would be something like:

.291 avg, 115 runs, 12 HR's, 65 RBI's, 35 steals.
Dusk2k2
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Yoda » Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:55 am

He's got a nice compact swing. His G/F ratios was 1.0 in 04, pretty high considering his overall package.

It's possible that some of those 2Bs are becoming HRs and that he is absolutely locked in right now. However, we are still less than 2 weeks into the season and too early to tell if he will for sure hit like this for the balance of the season. If he is still hitting like this in May, then it's time to take him seriously.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby brewwcreww » Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:59 am

brewwcreww
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

PreviousNext