Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rank these scrubs ...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rank these scrubs ...

Postby wrveres » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:54 am

I would love to get some feedback on Restovich. Colorado's Right Field is wide open for the taking. Dustin Mohr is down. Hawpe is not exactly doing anything to take the job, and here sits Michael Restovich. The Prospect Minnesota had no room for. He is just the kind of player that would thrive at Colorado, right? He was always a solid power threat with great gap power. Minnesota just had no room. He is allready stealing AB's. I think he started 4 of 6 games last week. anyways ...

Thoughts.?
Last edited by wrveres on Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:15 am

Rank these guys ...

Restovich (COL)
Mackowiak (PIT)
La Roche (ATL)
Counsell (ARZ)
Blum (SD)
Mientkiewicz (NYM)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:43 am

nobody want to take a crack at it?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:57 am

oh well ...
Sent in.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby thehat » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:20 am

wrveres wrote:Rank these guys ...

Restovich (COL)
Mackowiak (PIT)
La Roche (ATL)
Counsell (ARZ)
Blum (SD)
Mientkiewicz (NYM)

I probably like Blum the least of the bunch in terms of pure talent. Can't see Mientkiewicz with any use at all, as he has no power at a power position. Restovich will be a platoon guy for now, could get released down the road. He's had a nice week, but there's nothing in his resume the last couple years to indicate he can cut it at this level. Looks like a Quad-A guy to me, and he sure won't be winning any Gold Gloves.

LaRoche is an okay real deep league plug in since you can platoon him just like Cox does and use him in favorable matchups. Not enough jolt to even be more than a Chad Tracy type, albeit with a lower BA.

Counsell is off to a great start and has 5x5 value if he stays at leadoff. Pretty good hitters in back of him and he can steal enough to help. Not a fantasy starter, but another depth guy with use.

I like Mackowiak the best of the group. Eligible all over the place, and has some sock and speed. A BA liability, but if he's getting his PT a guy you can stick in almost anywhere. I love having a guy like this at the end of my roster because he can be used at so many positions, which might allow me the luxury of grabbing a righty hitting platoon power guy or an extra setup reliever that can help a little across my pitching board.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -14)

Postby stumpak » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:20 am

I am figuring that this is an NL only league to be looking at these guys. Because of this I woudl give a like preference to Mac based on the position issue, but I think that Restovich as the highest upside, although there could be a considerable downside if he can't get into the line-up consistently once the Rockies OF injury issues are resolved.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Postby TB13 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:21 am

wrveres wrote:Rank these guys ...

Restovich (COL)
Mackowiak (PIT)
La Roche (ATL)
Counsell (ARZ)
Blum (SD)
Mientkiewicz (NYM)

La Roche (most talent and best chance for lasting #'s)

Mackowiak (if you love hot and cold players, he's your man)
Counsell (he never completely goes away, does he?)

Restovich (strictly becuase of the Coors factor)

Blum (yikes.....)
Mientkiewicz (double yikes......)
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby slomo007 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:25 am

wr...I get the feeling in this and in other threads that you don't like LaRoche. Why not? He is easily the best option you listed, and I've told you this before and apparently you aren't listening. How long will it take until you're convinced?
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Postby phunkadelic » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:22 pm

slomo007 wrote:wr...I get the feeling in this and in other threads that you don't like LaRoche. Why not? He is easily the best option you listed, and I've told you this before and apparently you aren't listening. How long will it take until you're convinced?

Probably about as long as it'll take him to realize that Adam Dunn "has any value" in fantasy baseball (I won't link the thread, even though I just checked and it does still exist)

lol ;-) ... sorry
phunkadelic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -2)

Postby wrveres » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:17 pm

Thanks guys. ..

Yes, this is for my NL Only. We do Weekly transactions, not daily so platoons are near impossible. Besides, we do not play with a bench. Start them if you got 'em. It is not just a free for all like Yahoo. Worst to first gets waiver priority. Now this particular roster spot belongs to Barry. So until he gets back, I am just trying to find the hot bat.

As for the people...

I agree on Geoffy Blum and Mickey Mouse. They were lowest on my list. I always need to rank four or five guys, 'cus 'ya never know.

La Roche... aaahh La Roche. I would have no problem roistering La Roche if he did not have a 49-year-old platoon partner. I know that sounds weird, I mean come-on, the guy was born in 1958 for gods sake, but amazingly, Bobby Cox keeps trotting Franco out there against lefties, and I'll be damned if doesn't keep hitting .300.
Now La Roche has exactly 4 AB's vs. lefties this year, and I see no reason why Cox will not use the same recipe last led him to a pennant last season. That is why La Roche keeps being knocked down on my list.

Restovich. Now I will admit, I am not a big AL guy. That is why I was asking. It seems to me that he has the exact makeup that creates Coors Studs. He has excellent gap power and decent speed.

As for Mackowiak, I have/had no chance at him. We give priority to DL in our transactions and I knew first hand he was going to be taken.

I ended up with J. Hairston
He was not on the list I know, but he was on the top of my transactions list. I have plenty of Stolen Bases already, so he was not necessary. I needed power. But I would rather roster Hairston than have him go to somebody else as a source for cheap steals. Besides, SB's are always easy to deal off. All ya gotta do is look to the bottom of the standings.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Baseball Leftovers