Return to Baseball Leftovers

cheating?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

cheating?

Postby J Allman » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:20 pm

ok...i joined one of my friends money league. He had no maximum innings pitched and unlimited waiver moves. So I have my stud pitchers but then have 2 extra spots available, so i have been dropping and adding 1 or 2 starting pitchers daily. Well, i am winning the league. One other guy has started this strategy i am noticing. Well people are starting to tell me that I am cheating. I personally dont think i am cheating since everyone can do this. What do u guys think? roto league 5x5 in pitched, wins, k's, era, sv's.
J Allman
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chadlincoln » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:23 pm

We had that last year in the keeper leauge. I limited the moves this year and if someone reaches that limit by not doing that junk, I'll bump it up. I had a guy have 200+ innings in a week last year. He won K's, wins, and saves, and the week. It's a joke. I don't allow it.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -23)

Postby Jester » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:24 pm

Thats why you put things in to stop this at the start of the season, (i.e. max innings). if they didn't do that, do it up. you are within the rules, thus - not cheating.
Food is an important part of a balanced diet.
Jester
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby John Bonzo » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:24 pm

thats what they get for setting up a league's rules that way. Tell them to add a maximum IP limit next year.
John Bonzo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -6)

Postby Shakes » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:25 pm

i belive it is only conisdered cheating if you are picking up pitchers and droping them so others cannot use them.

Spot starting good matchs up is stragety.
I'm a better lover when your drunk.
Shakes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby thehat » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:27 pm

Why do guys set leagues up with no limits on BOTH IP and transactions. Makes no sense whatsoever. And if you're making this many moves, I'll bet there's no transaction fee, either, right?

Clearly, what you're doing is not cheating. A lot of guys don't like it, but they can do the same thing, can't they? Of course, it's not the nicest way to play, and chances are you'll not be invited back, but if this is a money league with zero apparent restrictions, it's like they're giving you the cash.

Your call.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -14)

thanks guys

Postby J Allman » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:27 pm

thanks...i just wanted to get everyones opinions on this. I agree its his fault for putting the categories like these. Ill continue doing it and take these kids money .
J Allman
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby LetsPlay2 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:28 pm

Sounds more like a very poorly set up league than cheating. It's still very early in the year so if someone comes up with a quick fix that all in the league can agree on, that's the way to go. Perhaps swap "innings pitched" for WHIP. That way starting a sub-standard pitcher is more painful. Good luck.
LetsPlay2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby chris8 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:50 pm

Having IP as a scoring cat actively invites this sort of tactic. I'm amazed no one else is doing it.
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: -156)

Postby xeifrank » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:32 pm

if it's within the league settings it's not cheating. It may be annoying, but it's not cheating. It is the commissioners own fault for setting up the league settings so poorly, and it wouldn't be fair for him to change the rules during the season. Money league with a noobie commish = Trouble :)

vr

Xei
Author of: http://MLBMockDraftSoftware.blogspot.com/
Author of: http://dodgerSims.blogspot.com/
Author of: http://TheSoberAngels.blogspot.com/
Author of: http://XeiOnSports.blogspot.com/
xeifrank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Next