Return to Baseball Leftovers

J. Rincon, Otsuka or Street?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby looptid » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:43 am

warrick95 wrote:Otsuka- 3 ERA, high 1.1 WHIP, a tad more than a K an inning...about
Rincon- high 2's ERA, 1.10 WHIP, more Ks than Otsuka
Street- mid to high 3's ERA, 1.22 WHIP, about a K an inning

It's fairly hard to predict holds, but I think all three will end up with fairly similar amounts...they're all on teams that have good pitching but average offenses (other than Minnesota, who's pitching is only above average outside of Santana), so I think hold opportunities will definitely be generated. And all three are going to be winning teams. I'd probably take Rincon over Otsuka, because I think hitters will get more used to the latter, especially with his eccentric delivery.

Radke? Average? 4th in the AL in ERA and VORP last season. I don't think he'll repeat his career season, but average is a reach.

And why will Otsuka's ERA rise at least 125 points? He's just as good a shot as Rincon for a sub-3 ERA.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby warrick95 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:47 am

looptid wrote:
warrick95 wrote:Otsuka- 3 ERA, high 1.1 WHIP, a tad more than a K an inning...about
Rincon- high 2's ERA, 1.10 WHIP, more Ks than Otsuka
Street- mid to high 3's ERA, 1.22 WHIP, about a K an inning

It's fairly hard to predict holds, but I think all three will end up with fairly similar amounts...they're all on teams that have good pitching but average offenses (other than Minnesota, who's pitching is only above average outside of Santana), so I think hold opportunities will definitely be generated. And all three are going to be winning teams. I'd probably take Rincon over Otsuka, because I think hitters will get more used to the latter, especially with his eccentric delivery.

Radke? Average? 4th in the AL in ERA and VORP last season. I don't think he'll repeat his career season, but average is a reach.

And why will Otsuka's ERA rise at least 125 points? He's just as good a shot as Rincon for a sub-3 ERA.

Above average is exactly what I said. Radke's a good pitcher. Combined with the rest of the rotation, they're above average.

Otsuka's ERA is going to rise (perhaps it's a conservative projection in terms of how well he'll do) because his runky-dunky (is that a word?) delivery worked on hitters last year, but they'll likely be much more used to it this year. In fact, many hitters were complaining about how part of his delivery was cheating, but nothing eventually stemmed from that. His slider is money and he'll definitely be a great setup man, but I doubt he'll repeat his numbers.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -150)

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:52 am

Rincon, then Otsuka, then Street.

I really like Otsuka, but thought I read in ST that he might have had an injury-issue - which makes me think he won't be as good this year (and, hence, behind Rincon).

After this year, I think Street will be first.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -74)
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby kimchi_chigae » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:39 am

RawTalent wrote:I think Street by far over Rincon and Otsuka. The guy's a young Brad Lidge, and whereas there's little chance of Minnesota or SD closers being traded, there is a chance that Oakland's will, if only because Beane loves a firesale.

true...but if dotel gets traded...street isn't likely to be the first option...not this year. the A's bullpen is great and even though street has been pretty good this year....the A's aren't using him in close game situations...at least not yet.

this year...and this year only...you prolly have to go with otsuka or rincon. both are great options and i'll give the edge to otsuka...not because he's better than rincon, but because hoffman is getting old and he isn't exactly an ironman.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers