Return to Baseball Leftovers

Glaus Opinions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Glaus Opinions

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:33 pm

Just wondering what everyone's opinion is on Glaus cause I have seen quite a few posts gushing over him lately. I understand the HR are impressive but in a roto league he kills your BA.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sportsgalore » Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:17 pm

you basically nailed it - he also tends to slow down after may, so trading him by then is generally a good idea...h2h you can take the hit in BA, but it roto it drags ya down
sportsgalore
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Shakes » Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:56 pm

bingo.

He is a career 250 hitter. So while he get some good stats it just sucks when he is on your team. Espially if you don't have someone that can boost your avg like an ichero. There are other 3b that put up the same quaility numbers but can bat 30-50 sometimes even more then that points above him.
I'm a better lover when your drunk.
Shakes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby Madison » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:13 pm

No clue. Never owned Glaus, and until he proves he can hit for a somwhat decent average, I never will. :-°
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby Spartans Rule » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:12 pm

Check out his career splits (he's played enough games so that each month careerwise looks kind of like one season):

April: 555 AB, .286, 39 HR, 114 R, 119 RBI, .963 OPS
May: 512 AB, .281, 35 HR, 105 R, 91 RBI, .958 OPS

June: 454 AB, .209, 26 HR, 68 R, 66 RBI, .735 OPS
July: 430 AB, .216, 24 HR, 66 R, 64 RBI, .746 OPS

I've got Glaus, but I can almost guarantee that come Memorial Day I'll have traded him.
Spartans Rule
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby davidmarver » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:33 pm

He'll hit 80.

he went to my High School so I'm a huge Glaus homer.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -328)

Postby quicksilver8 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:11 pm

I'm in an OnBaseAverage league and Glaus walks enough to make him a very good player. Plus, if you look at his June and July splits mentioned above, those aren't that bad at all. If I told you at the beginning of the year that I'd give you a 3bmen that will hit 24-26 homers and drive in close to 70 over the course of 450 AB, AND that you would get him for great value (cheap in auction leagues)....wouldn't you be interested? Hell, I think David Wright is going to produce about that: 25 80 rbi...and a similar OBA...

I agree his batting ave is a killer in standard leagues...and his injury risk worries me too.
quicksilver8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BigLebowski » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:42 am

Unless injury strikes...which you can't predict.......he will be a top HR/RBI producer...and he will not help your average.

He will give you power if you need it and if given the chance...and if you are a gambler...he may not hurt your average.

There is not denying the guy has talent....it is just if he has reached his potential or if he will get better?

My bet is that his power is a sure thing and his average will be above his norms.........if he stays healthy...well that is one thing that no-one knows and you can't bet either way. :-?
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -8)

Return to Baseball Leftovers