Return to Baseball Leftovers

Should I be annoyed? Questionable behavior in a league.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Should I be annoyed? Questionable behavior in a league.

Postby proninja » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:50 pm

So here's the scenario. I'm in a 10 team league with a couple of newbies and a few people I've played with for a long time. It's not the most serious league, we're recruiting so we can have more people next year for a serious league. Guardado was just waived in this league, I had the #3 priority and one of the newbies had #1.

I'm currently ahead by a good margin, and one of the guys I've played with for a while is down toward the bottom - he's got about every underachieving guy out there on his team.

This guy that I've played with for a while went to the newbie and recommended that he pick up Guardado so I couldn't get him. His defense is that he wants the newbie to learn and stay interested all year, I'm pretty sure that if he thought he had a chance at Guardado there's no way he would have mentioned it, and his only goal was to keep me from getting a piece that could help me.

I'm a little annoyed - do I have a right to be?
proninja
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:57 pm

I would be annoyed too, human nature, but I don't see anything wrong with it.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)

Postby great gretzky » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:07 pm

well picking up guardardo is good for him to do so. I think it is savvy to make sure that you don't get him.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -7)

Postby intense » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:13 pm

you're friend is being a... probably because his team isnt doing well, sure you should be annoyed, but theres not much you can really do besides keep stickin it to everyone.
intense
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ramble2 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:21 pm

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

If your friend was simply trying to block you from getting Guardado, it's not really worth getting upset about.

On the other hand, if part of the goal of this league is to cultivate a long term league then it's not a big deal to give a newbie a piece of advice. Newbies in my league ask veteran players for advice all the time. Veteran players in my league also talk to each other about moves they are contemplating. It's part of the fun. Are you sure it wasn't just something like this?
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -6)

Postby proninja » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:29 pm

ramble2 wrote:I wouldn't worry about it too much.

If your friend was simply trying to block you from getting Guardado, it's not really worth getting upset about.

On the other hand, if part of the goal of this league is to cultivate a long term league then it's not a big deal to give a newbie a piece of advice. Newbies in my league ask veteran players for advice all the time. Veteran players in my league also talk to each other about moves they are contemplating. It's part of the fun. Are you sure it wasn't just something like this?

Yeah, he made a point of seeking him out to tell him about it.

Frankly, if the newbie would have asked me if I thought he should pick up guardado I'd have told him absolutely. . .i guess it's more the fact that he sought out a way to hurt me rather than just trying to field a competitive team on his own.
proninja
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby agchris02 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:37 pm

I dont see anything wrong with this at all....

If he gave the advice just to help someone, there is NO reason to be upset,

but even if this person was a vetran and just did this to block you, there's still nothing wrong with it. Why is giving advice on pickups, trades, or anything else really wrong? I know virtually everyone in all my private leagues airs their opinions on everyting. If eddie was wavied in ours, there'd be 10 comments up saying "I wish I had number one priority to get him, lucky person X (whoever has number one priority)"

Even if he said pick him up so i can trade you for him..no problem, I just dont see anything wrong with this at all
Jackalope
agchris02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby proninja » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:50 pm

agchris02 wrote:I dont see anything wrong with this at all....

If he gave the advice just to help someone, there is NO reason to be upset,

but even if this person was a vetran and just did this to block you, there's still nothing wrong with it. Why is giving advice on pickups, trades, or anything else really wrong? I know virtually everyone in all my private leagues airs their opinions on everyting. If eddie was wavied in ours, there'd be 10 comments up saying "I wish I had number one priority to get him, lucky person X (whoever has number one priority)"

Even if he said pick him up so i can trade you for him..no problem, I just dont see anything wrong with this at all

You know, the more I think about it you're right. Dammit.

I'll console myself with the knowledge that Brian Roberts and Pat Burrell are doing just fine :)
proninja
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Frances The Mute » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:54 pm

oh too bad you couldn't take advantage of the new guy and win cheap. waaaah.
Frances The Mute
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby proninja » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:00 pm

Frances The Mute wrote:oh too bad you couldn't take advantage of the new guy and win cheap. waaaah.

Listen. . .I'm not trying to take advantage of anyone. This guy has offered me trades that I've turned down not because they wouldn't help my team, but because I don't want to take advantage of the newbie.

Do you even read?
proninja
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers