Return to Baseball Leftovers

Takatsu

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Yoda » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:08 pm

BritSox wrote:
Don't bolt on Adams yet, the Brewers have no-one better.

Actually they do... I'll give you a hint. His initials are JC.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tmoney » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:10 pm

Yoda wrote:
tmoney wrote:Just heard in the Sox postgame press conference that Ozzie is planning on going with a closer by situation. He said he doesnt want to ruin anyones confidence, but Shingo is not pitching well right now. So he is going to switch to closer by situation.

LOL... read between the lines... it will be Hermanson or Marte since Takatsu obviously can't get the job done anymore. Why would he turn to Takatsu after taking his job away when you have far better pitchers who can easily get the job done?

I was simply posting what Ozzie had said in his postgame comments. Im not sure where you got the idea that those were my thoughts. Of course Ozzie is going to make a switch, this is the same thing he did last year when Koch struggled and Shingo took over. It will be Hermansons job to lose now, Marte is more valuable coming out of the bullpen. Shingo is probably better suited to be a middle relief pitcher anyways.
tmoney
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby slomo007 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:27 pm

Yoda wrote:
BritSox wrote:

Jeff Cirillo? ;-7

I don't see anyone else on their roster with those initials.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Postby warrick95 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:04 am

Somehow "I told ya so" just doesn't quite say it...and slomo can testify to that. :-D

What he's basically saying (instead of saying that Hermanson's his closer) is that he'll predominantly use Hermanson in situations involving righties, which is most situations, and Marte when more lefties are up.

Why couldn't this have happened last year? :-t
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -150)

Postby slomo007 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:06 am

warrick95 wrote:Somehow "I told ya so" just doesn't quite say it...and slomo can testify to that. :-D

What he's basically saying (instead of saying that Hermanson's his closer) is that he'll predominantly use Hermanson in situations involving righties, which is most situations, and Marte when more lefties are up.

Poor Marte....if only he were right-handed, eh warrick?

Hermanson is the guy to pick up for anyone out there wondering...as warrick said, he'll get most situations vs righties and Marte vs lefties...Shingo will be predominantly in the setup role I assume.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Postby warrick95 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:13 am

slomo007 wrote:
warrick95 wrote:Somehow "I told ya so" just doesn't quite say it...and slomo can testify to that. :-D

Poor Marte....if only he were right-handed, eh warrick?

Hermanson is the guy to pick up for anyone out there wondering...as warrick said, he'll get most situations vs righties and Marte vs lefties...Shingo will be predominantly in the setup role I assume.

Well, a clear contradiction is in money. Braden Looper makes 5.3 million this year. Marte makes 1.25 million this year. Damaso is more valuable than a lot (most, I'd venture to say actually) closers, but won't get the money due to his role on the team. If I were his agent, I'd argue that he was more valuable where he pitches to face opposing lefties. It's rare to find lefties with his kind of stuff in the pen. I could count them on one hand...Ryan, Wagner and Gonzalez. There are other servicable lefties, but none that can actually work against both sides like them. Getting my drift?

However, I dunno what he'd be as a righty. His best pitch...a slurvish slider is so freaking effective on lefties that it's not funny. It's also effective as hell vs. righties, both on the backdoor and sweeping through.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -150)

Postby Yoda » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:17 am

slomo007 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
BritSox wrote:

Jeff Cirillo? ;-7

I don't see anyone else on their roster with those initials.

Ever hear of Jose Capelllan?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers