Return to Baseball Leftovers

Reds OF Log Jam

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Reds OF Log Jam

Postby Drunken Rhino » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:52 am

So if you're the Reds GM, what do you do with your 4 OF? I know it's nice to have 4 quality OF when Griffey Jr. is on your team, but would it not make sense to trade Griffey Jr., Kearns or, forgive me Reds fans, Casey, for some quality SP?

Personally, I like the Casey scenario (assuming Griffey Jr. can stay healthy obviously). Move Dunn to 1st and let Kearns, Griffey Jr and Mo Pena play in the OF.
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stumpak » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:18 am

The Reds clearly want to make a trade. Both Kearns and Pena have been shopped extensively at certain times since the end of last season, and even Dunn's name has come up. I think the issue is that the Reds way overvalue these guys and have an unreasonable asking price. Until they get a realistic market value of Kearns and Pena into their heads, I think they will be stuck with servicable 4 OFs.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Postby slomo007 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:28 am

I'm not sure how many times I've seen this thread in the past few days. Basically it comes down to this:

Casey won't be traded
Dunn won't be traded
Griffey might be traded, but the Reds would have to eat a huge portion of his contract, so I doubt it happens
Kearns/Pena - Either could be traded, I'd bet on Pena if I had to bet on either. I think they're showcasing him right now, and would take a great SP prospect or proven pitcher in return. They'll set their goal high though, otherwise they won't trade...at least I hope so.

Until then, expect much of what we've seen...with Dunn and Casey playing pretty much everyday and Griffey playing most of the time. Pena and Kearns will split time, with the hot hand getting the majority of it. Right now it's Pena, but that could change.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Postby AuburnTigers » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:21 pm

The Braves should be talking to the Reds about getting either Kearns or Wily Mo because Jordan and Mondesi will not cut it in the OF.
AuburnTigers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:25 pm

Yeah, what slomo said is pretty much what's being thrown around here. Personally, I don't think they should trade any of them until Griffey and Kearns proves they're healthy, and/or Pena shows he can produce on a consistent basis.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -436)

Postby slomo007 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:28 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:Yeah, what slomo said is pretty much what's being thrown around here. Personally, I don't think they should trade any of them until Griffey and Kearns proves they're healthy, and/or Pena shows he can produce on a consistent basis.

That's how I feel as well...unless some team is just desperate and willing to give us a prospect like Scott Kazmir. ;-7

It had better be a very elite prospect, or an already proven good pitcher, or I don't want any part of a trade. There's nothing wrong with having an extra great player on your team...especially not when you have injury concerns.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Postby Darkie Satchels » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:14 pm

Pena will be traded at the break. The good news for the Reds is that if he continues on his hot streak, his street value is better than ever expected.

Great indie Music Website: http://www.pensatos.com
Darkie Satchels
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bselig » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:29 pm

pena produced on a consistent basis last season...kearns hasn't been good in three years (though due to injuries); i don't see why the reds would want to make a move right now, maybe at the break but why not wait a couple of months for the inevitable griffey/kearns injury?
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby hookem2003 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:48 pm

I just picked up Pena, and I demand that he starts! 26 bombs and 66 rbi's in 335 ab's. And he's 23 - only up from here. This guy is every bit as valuable as Dunn if they get him the ab's.
hookem2003
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Return to Baseball Leftovers