Return to Baseball Leftovers

GMs still trade with Billy Beane?!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

GMs still trade with Billy Beane?!

Postby The Jury » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:08 am

What happenend in the past few years in our league was for a couple year's I really worked negotiations in trading and almost always came up with the better end of the deal when the dust settled. So after a while, the other fantasy GMs (buddies) caught on and became weary of trading with me, so I toned the negotations down and now we all trade with equal effort :-D

This brings me to the thought - if Major League GMs know that Beane isn't gonna make a trade that he'll get screwed on, wouldn't they double and triple check when considering a trade with Billy? They know they'll end up getting PWNT 8-o
The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:12 am

I'm sure a lot of teams would like to know the answer to that one. :-o

And no, I don't have a particular NL Central team in mind if that's what you're thinking. O:-)
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -436)

Postby LBJackal » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:21 am

He's not exactly screwing teams over. What's good for him isn't always good for the teams he trades with. Teams like St. Louis and Atlanta have more money to spend than he does.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)

Postby The Jury » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:23 am

Teams should pretend to be interested in trading with him, then "decide not to" after a string of negotiations. It's better than having scouts cause Billy will identify which players on the team are good, so the GM of the team can get those players seasoned for big impact in the Majors :-D Using Billy's knowledge to your advantage ;-D
The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Postby fiz » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:24 am

LBJackal wrote:He's not exactly screwing teams over. What's good for him isn't always good for the teams he trades with. Teams like St. Louis and Atlanta have more money to spend than he does.

excellent point - that is the crux of the moneyball strategy...get more with less...teams with more money can always get more with more!
fiz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -5)

Postby nikku88 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:59 am

It's not like Beane has won every trade he did.
He's good, but not perfect.
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby slomo007 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:03 am

nikku88 wrote:It's not like Beane has won every trade he did.

Agreed...I don't expect Meyer to outperform Hudson in his career. To be honest, I don't like that trade at all. However, I know money was an issue with Huddy, so maybe he still doesn't regret it.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -69)

Postby GSes » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:12 am

slomo007 wrote:
nikku88 wrote:It's not like Beane has won every trade he did.

Agreed...I don't expect Meyer to outperform Hudson in his career. To be honest, I don't like that trade at all. However, I know money was an issue with Huddy, so maybe he still doesn't regret it.

of course he does not regret this trade slomo.........how many times do i have to explain it......

1. Hudson was a free agent at the end of 2005

2. The a's COULD NOT afford to resign him

3. the A's COULD NOT pay Kendall AND offer Arbitration to DOTEL, Byrnes, AND Durazo UNLESS they dumped Hudson's and Mulder's 2005 salary

4. Hudson would walk at the end of 2005, and the A's would get nothing. He got what he is still expecting (its been 17 days in the season)

a great #4 outfielder
a future ACE in Meyer (who yes is started out bad in AAA, but 3 bad starts does not make him no longer a top prospect)
and a great power arm out of the pen in Juan Cruz (even though so far he has sucked)

Billy would have kept Hudson if he could, there is no doubt about it, but he could not.
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Re: GMs still trade with Billy Beane?!

Postby GSes » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:15 am

The Jury wrote:What happenend in the past few years in our league was for a couple year's I really worked negotiations in trading and almost always came up with the better end of the deal when the dust settled. So after a while, the other fantasy GMs (buddies) caught on and became weary of trading with me, so I toned the negotations down and now we all trade with equal effort :-D

This brings me to the thought - if Major League GMs know that Beane isn't gonna make a trade that he'll get screwed on, wouldn't they double and triple check when considering a trade with Billy? They know they'll end up getting PWNT 8-o

I have this probllem in my league with all my friends. I won the last 2 years, and I made many trades that at the time looked good to them, but they got screwd over in the long run.

Now whenever I offer a trade for say
mark mulder
carlos lee
trevor hoffman
etc

they go o wow, gses likes this guy even though he sucks ass. I better keep him and they get ALL EXCITED and refuse to trade their struggiling stars to anyone cuz gses must like they if they are good right?> and gses always wins so gses knows what he is talking about

thjat being said i think i have come up with a plan

im gonna start offering trades for their shitty players like

Hampton (slomo ;-D )
Sanchez
Dye
Tsao
Lugo
etc lol
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby slomo007 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:25 am

If you offer a trade for Hampton as a joke, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the end of the season. ;-) :-D
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -69)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers