Return to Baseball Leftovers

GMs still trade with Billy Beane?!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby fantasyfiend » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:34 am

Most A's fan's are still shaking their heads at the Kielty for Lilly trade.

And letting Bonderman go for pennies.
fantasyfiend
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GSes » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:35 am

fantasyfiend wrote:Most A's fan's are still shaking their heads at the Kielty for Lilly trade.

And letting Bonderman go for pennies.

yes I am scratching my head no doubt right now about both of those.

believe it or not the lilly trade was about money LOL
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GSes » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:42 am

intresting article on bonderman and the a's past

http://espn.go.com/gammons/s/2003/0427/1545513.html

I didn't realise Bonderman had a learning disability, i thought he sounded kind of dumb when i saw his interciew, nonetheless the kid is on all my teams cuz he is gonna be a bonafide ace.

essentially the a's got lilly and durazo for bonderman. both were and have been important to the a's although i gotta admit right now it could be

1. Harden
2. Bonderman
3. Zito
4. Haren
5. Blanton

Bonderman right now would make the a's IMO the best team in the AL west, b/c i think he is gonna be a huge ace this year. Then again, the A's offense would be SO HORRIBLE (its already bad) without durazo.

in billy we trust.

but letting go of bonderman was a mistake imo, no doubt.
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby slomo007 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:52 am

Thanks for the link GSes....I hope Bonderman no-hits the As someday in response to those tasteless comments.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -69)

Postby GSes » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:55 am

slomo007 wrote:Thanks for the link GSes....I hope Bonderman no-hits the As someday in response to those tasteless comments.

I agree with you, that is horrible and im embarassed as an A's fan that our former owner said that and that we even traded bonderman to begin with.
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Re: GMs still trade with Billy Beane?!

Postby nsulham » Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:26 am

GSes wrote:I have this probllem in my league with all my friends. I won the last 2 years, and I made many trades that at the time looked good to them, but they got screwd over in the long run.

Now whenever I offer a trade for say
mark mulder
carlos lee
trevor hoffman
etc

they go o wow, gses likes this guy even though he sucks ass. I better keep him and they get ALL EXCITED and refuse to trade their struggiling stars to anyone cuz gses must like they if they are good right?> and gses always wins so gses knows what he is talking about

Exact same thing happens to me. I've won the last two years and now nobody will trade me with for fear of looking stupid in the end. Now if I offer something I get a ludicrous offer in return.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -38)

Postby G-Man » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:21 pm

contrary to popular belief, billy beane does not have a crystal ball and thus anyone who doesn't trade with him due to *fear of being screwed* is an idiot; they should be able to evaluate value themselves. however as we see so often many GM's are idiots.
G-Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:00 pm

You have to keep in mind that Billy isn't really screwing teams over. Often, what he's doing is offering sure-fire "now" players in exchange for high-end "later" players.

I think part if Billy's genius is in his ability to find teams that need the "now" and have the later and then to make offers to those teams that are too good to resist for one reason. The other part of his genius is his unGodly ability to sign young talent to long and cheap contracts, thereby making them extremely marketable in the future (see Rich Harden).

His abilities are sickening... :-P :-D
Want an easy icon?
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=133
All you have to do is beat a few guys at picking Sunday's winners.[/url]
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -301)

Postby Longhorns76 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:11 pm

StlSluggers wrote:You have to keep in mind that Billy isn't really screwing teams over. Often, what he's doing is offering sure-fire "now" players in exchange for high-end "later" players.

I think part if Billy's genius is in his ability to find teams that need the "now" and have the later and then to make offers to those teams that are too good to resist for one reason. The other part of his genius is his unGodly ability to sign young talent to long and cheap contracts, thereby making them extremely marketable in the future (see Rich Harden).

His abilities are sickening... :-P :-D

Agreed.

I also think that the "now" for some teams will be a need for a quality closer. The A's have Dotel who will probably not resign with the A's in the offseason. If for chance the A's have faith in Street (unlikely at this point, but one can wish), Billy will deal to Chicago or NYM for a quality 2b prospect and nice benchwarmer that may be a good pinch runner. Billy knows earlier than most GM's what their biggest needs are and addresses them at almost nearly at the correct time. This is the skill that he has learned and GM's can't not make deals based on the fact they are dealing with Billy Beane. They do need to just realize that Billy is padding his future with lower than market priced players that could be more valuable later or in a pinch for this season.
"Relievers are like volatile stocks. They're the one asset you need to watch closely, and trade for quick profits." --Billy Beane
Longhorns76
College Coach
College Coach

Postby IVIisfits138 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:53 pm

Bonderman didn't fit into Beane's type of player to draft so he didn't feel he was "his" player such as the other college pitchers he got.

I don't want to to offend anyone about this, but if you look at Bonderman, he kind of has that down-syndrome look although it may just be a learning disabilty.
Do Work
IVIisfits138
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers