Return to Baseball Leftovers

So, two weeks into the season (hot/cold streaks)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

So, two weeks into the season (hot/cold streaks)

Postby warrick95 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:21 pm

I checked season stats today again and it came to my notice that I've kept on starting guys like P. Wilson, V. Wells, and Hidalgo, when they are batting around or even below .200. However, I've benched Floyd and Clint Barmes mostly all year, the latter who's hit above .400 so far with a nice amount of runs, HRs, and a bit of SBs, too.

So...Are y'all riding out cold streaks or sticking in the hot hand, already?

I've been riding out basically all of my cold streaks, as you can see. I'm beginning to think that riding out cold streaks with stars (like Chavez) may not be a bad idea, but to play the hot hand when it comes to more average players. However, does the psychological idea ever get to some of you that this just MIGHT be the day that he breaks out of his slump with a big homer? That always stops me from playing around with my lineup. Or that my hot player is going to suddenly cool down?

Anyway, I've stuck Barmes in for Hidalgo until Hidalgo heats back up. Barmes is back at Coors, anyway.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -150)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby beltrans_boy » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:23 pm

I usually bench the cold hand. If you miss out on a great game, you miss out on a great game. It's better to miss out on 1 HR than to rack up an 0/18 slide...once they've shown they can break out of the slump, plug them back into your lineup, and enjoy the production.

;-D
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -17)

Re: So, two weeks into the season (hot/cold streaks)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:41 pm

warrick95 wrote:However, does the psychological idea ever get to some of you that this just MIGHT be the day that he breaks out of his slump with a big homer? That always stops me from playing around with my lineup. Or that my hot player is going to suddenly cool down?

I know exactly how you feel. It's really bad in weekly lineup leagues. :-/ I've been like you though trying to ride out Helton, Wells, Tex, Chavez, etc. They're beginning to show life, but some of those ww guys are looking very appealing. :-°
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -436)

Postby TB13 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:44 pm

Beem riding out Tex, Thome & ARam. I know that had I benched Thome, THAT would have been his pattented 3-4, 2 hrs, 5 rbi game.
At the end of April is when I usually reassess whom I am playing. At that point, if you are still an iceicle, then you go to the bench.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Return to Baseball Leftovers