Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wavetide007 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:48 pm

ANSWER ME NOW
wavetide007
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mikegp » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:03 pm

Yes...and I don't think he will breakout but he will bat close to .300 and hit 20-30hr and steal 15-20 bases.
mikegp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -7)

Postby wavetide007 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:04 pm

mikegp wrote:Yes

YEAH!!!

Where can I go to see what players are in their contract year

thnx
wavetide007
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:15 pm

Jones will be solid just like last year but nothing spectacular.

.280 25 HR 80RBI seem about right.
Sp_Da_Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby Madison » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:52 pm

wavetide007 wrote:ANSWER ME NOW

Relax. 10 minutes is nothing on a message board.

By the way, if you believe in the contract year myth, I've got a really big green statue holding a torch that I'll sell you. ;-7
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby wannabthechamp » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:54 pm

wavetide007 wrote:ANSWER ME NOW

no
"I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany. - Ron Burgundy
wannabthechamp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby looptid » Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:01 pm

Solid like last year? With his .742 OPS from a right fielder? Jones could have very well been nontendered this offseason, and would have if Kubel's knee hadn't exploded in the Arizona Fall League.

A lot of people chalk last season up to a bunch of struggles including hte death of his father. Jacque is a nice guy, but he's now reaching the point in his career that he costs too much money for what he gives. $5 million from the Twins is a sizeable contract, and Jones is just an average major league rightfielder. Gardenhire is an idiot to bat him against lefties (TK never did) and the Twins have much better options.

Jones won't breakout at 30 years of age. Last season most likely signaled the begining of the decline from his peak. He won't drop off the face of the Earth, but he's not going to best what he did as a 27 year-old in 2002, hot start or not.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby thedukeorsino » Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:03 am

looptid wrote:Solid like last year? With his .742 OPS from a right fielder? Jones could have very well been nontendered this offseason, and would have if Kubel's knee hadn't exploded in the Arizona Fall League.

A lot of people chalk last season up to a bunch of struggles including hte death of his father. Jacque is a nice guy, but he's now reaching the point in his career that he costs too much money for what he gives. $5 million from the Twins is a sizeable contract, and Jones is just an average major league rightfielder. Gardenhire is an idiot to bat him against lefties (TK never did) and the Twins have much better options.

Jones won't breakout at 30 years of age. Last season most likely signaled the begining of the decline from his peak. He won't drop off the face of the Earth, but he's not going to best what he did as a 27 year-old in 2002, hot start or not.

I disagree. He managed to hit nearly 30 hrs last year despite all the problems he had. BTW, 2003 is the year you want to be looking at when he displayed power as well as a good average. Looking at his 2004 stats, he obvioiusly retained his power, and simply was in a general day-to-day funk at the plate. He would streak on and off last year and simply never hit consistently. I am guessing that this year will be much like his 2003 year. Even if he doesn't best his highest career season, he is still a solid guy to have in decent size leagues as his power and his location in the lineup will still give you 80+ RBIs and 25+ HRs.
thedukeorsino
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers