Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cliff Lee

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cliff Lee

Postby Dusk2k2 » Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:37 am

Did anyone watch today's game. He's had two pretty good starts in a row, and he's dropped his ERA into the 3.00's. Does it look like he's getting his control together and not giving up the long bomb anymore?
Dusk2k2
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bukoski77 » Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:54 am

It looks encouraging. I wish I had him in my leagues.
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -6)

Postby KolbSaves » Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:06 am

Be very wary.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -6)

Postby thehat » Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:18 am

I'm also encouraged. Lee does have terrific stuff, and he's more of a "when" than an "if" guy. His first half in '04 was a bit freaky, as his command was very inconsistent. Then he hit the wall bigtime and really struggled.

Got knocked around in ST, but at least showed no control issues. Now he's had three straight decent starts, with the last two pretty spectacular. The big thing is the BB/K ratio, which is definitely eye-popping.

I'll assume some rough spots along the way, but he's gone from being simply a keeper league later type to a redraft consideration right now type. I own him in two leagues as my fourth/fifth starter, which means I can cast him off if he goes south or reap the dividends if he continues to progress.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -14)

Postby t2green2 » Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:39 am

do you think he is a better option than Westbrook or Padilla?
t2green2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MMoNeY24 » Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:08 am

t2green2 wrote:do you think he is a better option than Westbrook or Padilla?

I'd take Westbrook by far over Lee and Padilla, but I think Lee is a better option over Padilla.

As far as Lee's 2 game "hot streak" goes, I wouldn't put much confidence into him. If you have him, I'd say play matchups and if he continues to pitch well, deal him.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -73)

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:42 pm

I think he could be ok, at least for a while. Many owners were very pleased with him last year, until the wheels fell off and he started getting bombed right around the start of June. Can't say I'd grab him just yet, unless you think he could pull off a couple more good starts and sell high.

I don't know if he'd be a better option than Padilla or not. I think a healthy Padilla is nothing too special, but better than Cliff Lee.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -450)

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:12 pm

t2green2 wrote:do you think he is a better option than Westbrook or Padilla?

Definitely. With the Phillies' new park, Padilla is a fairly mediocre pitcher at this point, especially considering that he's coming off injury. As for Westbrook, Lee is just a better pitcher than Westbrook. Lee obviously tired out last year, but he's a very talented pitcher. As thehat said, it's a question of when, not if.

Of course, it also depends what you're looking for. There's always a chance that Lee will implode like last year, so if you just want a 5th starter who won't drag down your ERA too much, then Westbrook or Padilla might be the safer option. But Lee is definitely the best pitcher of the three.
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby The Jury » Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:04 pm

I'm not liking his WHIP from past years though. I'll need a bigger sample for him to be on my team again..
The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Postby thunderbird401 » Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:11 pm

I'm also encouraged. Lee does have terrific stuff, and he's more of a "when" than an "if" guy. His first half in '04 was a bit freaky, as his command was very inconsistent. Then he hit the wall bigtime and really struggled.

Got knocked around in ST, but at least showed no control issues. Now he's had three straight decent starts, with the last two pretty spectacular. The big thing is the BB/K ratio, which is definitely eye-popping.

I'll assume some rough spots along the way, but he's gone from being simply a keeper league later type to a redraft consideration right now type. I own him in two leagues as my fourth/fifth starter, which means I can cast him off if he goes south or reap the dividends if he continues to progress.

;-D ;-D
thunderbird401
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Baseball Leftovers