Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will Arroyo be moved to the pen when Miller comes back?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Will Arroyo be moved to the pen when Miller comes back?

Postby The Guru » Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:24 pm

He has pitched very well this year. Pitched well last year.

I know alot of ppl felt he was a bit of a sleeper coming into the year.

Alot of ppl around here seem to think that he will be moved to the pen once Wade Miller comes back in early May.

But how sure are you about that? Wakefield is more used to pitching out of teh pen. Why wouldn't they move him to the pen?

Does anyone have any quote from Francona saying which Starting pitcher will be moved to the pen once Wade Miller comes back in early May?

There pitching rotation will be
Schilling
Clement
Wells
Wade Miller

Arryo/Wakefield
The Guru
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blackbearabroad » Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:01 pm

yea, Aroyo will probobly go back to the pen. Wake doesn't like it there and i don't beleive hes pitched out of the pen sense early in jimmi's regime (or was it the manager before?). Also, Aroyo does have some experiance in the pan. That aside, i (and i think the sox) like wakefeilds consistency in the rotation 8-o , expecially with some lingering questions with Schilling and Wells
blackbearabroad
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -3)

Postby Spartans Rule » Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:06 pm

blackbearabroad wrote:yea, Aroyo will probobly go back to the pen. Wake doesn't like it there and i don't beleive hes pitched out of the pen sense early in jimmi's regime.

Wakefield made 124 relief appearances in a long relief/spot starting role from 99-02. Its a very natural role for a knuckleballer.

Also, Aroyo does have some experiance in the pan.

A whopping 33 career relief appearances, compared to 58 starts. Wakefield pitched out of the pen more in 2000 alone.

That aside, i (and i think the sox) like wakefeilds consistency in the rotation 8-o , expecially with some lingering questions with Schilling and Wells

Consistency? What consistency? His ERA has been all over the place during his career. Last year it was 4.87. I don't see a lot of reason to trust him.

IMO, Arroyo in the rotation just makes a lot more sense. He's a better pitcher than Wakefield is right now, and Wakefield brings a lot of value to any bullpen with his ability to eat innings.
Spartans Rule
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rs2k2 » Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:19 pm

as a sox fan, i know wakefield really dislikes pitching from the bullpen...but being the nice guy he is he'll do so if/when terry asks him. personally i think the sox like wakefield more out of the SP than RP role and my guess is arroyo is going to the pen...i really like arroyo though...
rs2k2
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Baseball Leftovers