Return to Baseball Leftovers

Steve Phillips on Brian Roberts

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Steve Phillips on Brian Roberts

Postby RugbyD » Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:30 pm

Did I hear him right when he said Brian Roberts will hit 30-40 HRs? Something about last year's 50 doubles turing into homers. I don't want this to be another "is he for real?" thread; I was just real hungover this morning with ESPNEWS on in the background and needed some corroboration.
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Steve Phillips on Brian Roberts

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:43 pm

RugbyD wrote:Did I hear him right when he said Brian Roberts will hit 30-40 HRs? Something about last year's 50 doubles turing into homers. I don't want this to be another "is he for real?" thread; I was just real hungover this morning with ESPNEWS on in the background and needed some corroboration.

Would you really be surprised to hear something like that from the talking heads on ESPN? I mean why would they want to blindly say doubles will turn into HR? That would just be bad journalism IMO. ;-7 To answer your question though, I have no idea. :-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -436)

Postby nmarq8 » Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:41 pm

ya, i heard him say that. 30 seems like such a stretch much less 40. it's way too early in the season to be projecting stats like these. the guy's hot so give him credit, but come on phillips...
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."
nmarq8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -3)

Re: Steve Phillips on Brian Roberts

Postby brandnew » Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:03 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:
RugbyD wrote:Did I hear him right when he said Brian Roberts will hit 30-40 HRs? Something about last year's 50 doubles turing into homers. I don't want this to be another "is he for real?" thread; I was just real hungover this morning with ESPNEWS on in the background and needed some corroboration.

Would you really be surprised to hear something like that from the talking heads on ESPN? I mean why would they want to blindly say doubles will turn into HR? That would just be bad journalism IMO. ;-7

What he said :-D
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -11)

Postby tomkatt » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:50 pm

My best guess is Brian Roberts will bat .300 with 17 homers & 79 RBI's. Steal about 30 bags too.

Anything more and I'll be dancin a jig like Bruce Willis in THE LAST BOYSCOUT. ;-)
tomkatt
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:17 am

tomkatt wrote:My best guess is Brian Roberts will bat .300 with 17 homers & 79 RBI's. Steal about 30 bags too.

that would make him what the #1, #2 2nd baseman this year....... i would dance the jig or anything else if my 17th round draft pick had those numbers from the 2nd base position....
raiders_umpire

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -786)

Postby Pacman » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:24 am

I'll assume no Mets fans have found their way into this topic or they would have said some variation of this:

Steve Phillips is the guy who just about RUINED the Mets while he was their GM. He has no CLUE how to assemble a major league baseball team. It's baffling that ESPN would hire him to pontificate on baseball-related matters! (Although the reason ESPN hired him probably has to do with the fact that he has good hair).

I tell ya, some of these Baseball Tonight "experts" like Kruk and Phillips make it really tough to watch that show with the sound turned on. It's actually more pleasent -- when they're on -- to mute the TV and just watch the plays, and follow the stats on the screen.
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -20)

Postby tms298 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:46 pm

He's seen too many informercials on diets that turn fat into muscle.
tms298
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby chinst » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:59 pm

Now a Mets fan had made his way into this thread and if Phillips were here, I'd rip off his shrunken testicles and shove them down his throat...
chinst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby Frances The Mute » Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:16 pm

yea he did say 30 or 40.....I mean the guy gets paid for his baseball opinion so maybe he knows something, maybe he doesn't. Does it give credibility to the opinion shared by some on this site that roberts could possibly do it? He's on tv not us so hmm, nah he's probably just an idiot.
Frances The Mute
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers