Return to Baseball Leftovers

Steve Phillips on Brian Roberts

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:17 pm

Pacman wrote:He has no CLUE how to assemble a major league baseball team.

I'm no fan of Steve Phillips but he did take the Mets to their most recent Word Series.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Phatferd » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:05 pm

Amazinz wrote:
Pacman wrote:He has no CLUE how to assemble a major league baseball team.

I'm no fan of Steve Phillips but he did take the Mets to their most recent Word Series.

Exactly, and people need to realize that GMs have to answer to owners and owners make A LOT of decisions or nix A LOT of the GMs.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -25)

Postby Yoda » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:37 pm

Pacman wrote:I'll assume no Mets fans have found their way into this topic or they would have said some variation of this:

Steve Phillips is the guy who just about RUINED the Mets while he was their GM. He has no CLUE how to assemble a major league baseball team. It's baffling that ESPN would hire him to pontificate on baseball-related matters! (Although the reason ESPN hired him probably has to do with the fact that he has good hair).

I tell ya, some of these Baseball Tonight "experts" like Kruk and Phillips make it really tough to watch that show with the sound turned on. It's actually more pleasent -- when they're on -- to mute the TV and just watch the plays, and follow the stats on the screen.

People make predictions all the time. Just because someone goes out on a limb doesn't mean he is right or wrong. What's interesting is that Roberts did hit 50 2B and his G/F ratio in 04 was 1.00 which is unusual for the type of player he is. If a lot of those 2B on a fly, then what Phillips says might hold water. I doubt it... Roberts will approach 20 for sure but I would bet under.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:35 pm

These people are paid to make opinions - not just sit there. Whether you agree with them or not is what makes the world go round.

Now, whether he'll be right or wrong is anybody's guess. Maybe he hits 10 all season, maybe 30. At this point, no one knows for sure. Phillips is just giving an opinion.

As to the doubles thing, a few years ago, people were thrilled with the fact MCab had 43 doubles in A ball (and 9 HR) - and minor league talk mentioned how those doubles were a sign of power and as he got stronger, the HR would come. Funny thing happened - the HR came.

Roberts is now entering his physical peak years, and maybe he got a little stronger. I'm not saying he'll now hit 30+, but I don't think it's out of the realm for an "expert" to believe that he might.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -74)
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby stepsinsc » Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:42 pm

Steve Phillips is an absolute moron. He said that the White Sox would have the biggest fall off from wins from last year in the major leagues....
stepsinsc
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby brandnew » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:02 pm

Are you seriously comparing M-Cab to Roberts? The doubles weren't the only thing that made scouts believe Cabrera had 40+ HR power. His build, his swing, and his natural hitting ability all factored into that. Not to mention that Cabrera was what 18 or 19 in A Ball? Compared to 27? Also, Roberts never hit more than 3 HR's in his minor league career, and never slugged more than .420.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -11)

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:12 pm

No, I am not comparing Roberts to MCab. I'm giving a specific example about how the presence of 2B (with minimal HR) has been used, in the past, to predict that a player will hit more HR in a given year. Yes, I know MCab was 19 and Roberts is 27. But 27 is still within a player's physical peak - and no one knows whether Roberts has improved his strength or not.

So, I was simply stating that, as has happened with other players, high levels of 2B can be used to predict HR increases - and Phillips doing so with Roberts wouldn't be the first time it has happened. Again, I doubt he hits 30 (unlike MCab), but I certainly can understand someone thinking it might happen.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -74)
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby Yoda » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:33 pm

Dawgpound 1613 wrote:No, I am not comparing Roberts to MCab. I'm giving a specific example about how the presence of 2B (with minimal HR) has been used, in the past, to predict that a player will hit more HR in a given year. Yes, I know MCab was 19 and Roberts is 27. But 27 is still within a player's physical peak - and no one knows whether Roberts has improved his strength or not.

So, I was simply stating that, as has happened with other players, high levels of 2B can be used to predict HR increases - and Phillips doing so with Roberts wouldn't be the first time it has happened. Again, I doubt he hits 30 (unlike MCab), but I certainly can understand someone thinking it might happen.

FWIW, Roberts has 1 2B this year with 3 3B and 7 HR.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby Jdaddy » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:40 pm

I agree with Chinst }:-)
Cy Young- Pedro Martinez
World Series Bound NEW YORK METS!
............hey, a guy can dream can't he?
Jdaddy
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -2)

Postby brandnew » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:48 pm

Dawgpound 1613 wrote:No, I am not comparing Roberts to MCab. I'm giving a specific example about how the presence of 2B (with minimal HR) has been used, in the past, to predict that a player will hit more HR in a given year. Yes, I know MCab was 19 and Roberts is 27. But 27 is still within a player's physical peak - and no one knows whether Roberts has improved his strength or not.

Yeah, of course 2B's have translated to HR's before, but what a lot of us have been saying is just because Roberts has hit a lot of 2B's before, doesn't mean he's developing monster power. 2B's to HR's translates a lot, but it shouldn't be overlooked that a lot of the time, it doesn't. People shouldn't stick to that "like a security blanket," as said by another poster.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -11)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers