Return to Baseball Leftovers

Steve Phillips on Brian Roberts

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:59 pm

Doubles are an indicator for power in young hitters especially minor leaguers. You can't look at Roberts '04 2B totals and draw conclusions about his power because he turns 28 this year. He's not developing physically anymore. Those doubles are more indicative of speed than they are power. That's not to say he isn't a late bloomer who is manufacturing more power due to refined technique but I wouldn't expect it.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -120)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stepsinsc » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:14 pm

Screw homeruns. He just stole second AND third! Thattaboy!
stepsinsc
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Frances The Mute » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:26 pm

So why is he leading the league in homruns 3 weeks into the season?
Frances The Mute
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Yoda » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:42 pm

Frances The Mute wrote:So why is he leading the league in homruns 3 weeks into the season?

I honestly thought that he would hit for more power this year due to his total # of 2B and the G/F ratio. But I expected no more than 10. I have Roberts and while I am very happy with him so far, I am a realist. The guy is absolutely locked in. It's only been 2 weeks into the season. I will say it again. If he is still hitting like this in May then I will truely become a believer.

I don't think anyone can claim that they predicted Roberts though.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby Bukoski77 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:00 pm

12 of his doubles at home reached the warning track last year. 6 of his doubles reached the track at Anaheim and Tampa Bay. A few more of his doubles hit the track at other parks.

So from last years numbers I could estimate a peak of around 20 more HR's if he caught all the breaks.

This year he is uppercutting the ball more and hitting at a great spot in the lineup to see good pitches.

I'm starting to believe in maybe 25HR's, but will be shocked at anything more.
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -6)

Postby brandnew » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:57 pm

Frances The Mute wrote:So why is he leading the league in homruns 3 weeks into the season?

Maybe because it's 3 WEEKS INTO THE SEASON?
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -11)

Postby Frances The Mute » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:00 pm

oh yeah i forgot, everybody rocks 8 hrs in 3 weeks during some part of their career. this is just brian roberts turn i guess.
Frances The Mute
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby brandnew » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:10 pm

I'm kind of sick of arguing about Roberts, it's pointless, better to just wait til the end of the season to talk smack, so I'll ask you if you liked the new Mars Volta cd... the random noises on and on kind of got irritating for me :-o
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -11)

Postby Frances The Mute » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:40 pm

true.

its good, derivative to some other concept albums from bands like pink floyd, and nearly unlistenable to the average person -- but I like it a lot. Shares that same quality with most of the At the drive-in albums in that you don't really like it the first couple times you listen to it, then like it a lot. Sort of a rewarding listening experience.
Frances The Mute
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:56 pm

brandnew wrote:I'm kind of sick of arguing about Roberts, it's pointless, better to just wait til the end of the season to talk smack, so I'll ask you if you liked the new Mars Volta cd... the random noises on and on kind of got irritating for me :-o

If he ends up close or the same to Marcus Giles value wise, will you talk smack?
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -16)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers