Return to Baseball Leftovers

Carl Everett

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Carl Everett

Postby Bobby Baseball » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:21 am

While his batting average is, well....average, his power numbers are good (4 hr, 17 rbi). What type of production should be expected from him going forward?

Double Deuce Ranch
Bobby Baseball
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:57 am

I wouldn't tie anything long term into him. When Thomas comes back, he really has no place to play. He becomes a pinch hiter and sometimes spot starter for Dye or Rowand. Until then, probably about what he is doing now. His average was a lot better until this last week though. A couple of o fers really drags it down at this time of year.
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -12)

Postby baseballnewb » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:21 am

Thomas won't start full time when he gets back, Guillen does not like him. Also I would guess Everett and Rowand split time if anything given their starts on the year.

In a 12 team league I wouldn't want Everett as anything but your last OF. In a deeper league I could see him having more value.
baseballnewb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby bselig » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:56 am

agree with the last post, Everett definitely will be playing once Thomas gets back, and Thomas will be limited in the action he sees - he's fat, old, and coming off an injury; it might get annoying trying to figure out which days Everett will play and which he won't, though
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:06 am

Fat and old? He has outproduced Everett every year. In fewer at bats last year, he had almost three times as many home runs, more rbi, more runs scored and hit 20 points higher. He won't be sitting on the bench because of Everett and Everett is not capable of playing the field every day. If Thomas is healthy, he plays. Ozzie has a couple of bosses, and they're not going to be happy when a player they are paying millions of dollars to, and who is a better player, is sitting on the bench. Everett becomes a spot starter and pinch hitter as soon as Thomas gets back. That probably is not going to happen until the break, but it will happen.
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tomkatt » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:09 am

bselig wrote:agree with the last post, Everett definitely will be playing once Thomas gets back, and Thomas will be limited in the action he sees - he's fat, old, and coming off an injury; it might get annoying trying to figure out which days Everett will play and which he won't, though

Shame on you! The BIG HURT will find you and when he does.......................
tomkatt
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bselig » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:41 am

again, everett will still be playing when thomas gets back and thomas won't be playing every day - thomas may certainly play MORE than everett, but everett will get several starts per week. the line between "health" and "non-health" is not black and white...thomas, with his pathetically weak ankle, will not be "healthy" enough for the sox to play him every day, whether you want to think he will or not. he will be healthy enough to play some of the time and sit some of the time. i don't think that guillen "hates" thomas, and i agree that the sox upper brass will want thomas on the field, but getting the most out of their money with thomas will mean NOT playing him EVERY day, and making sure he is still on the field come september...if any fantasy player out there is relying on frank thomas to be an everyday starter this season, i pity them
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:46 am

And again, that makes him a spot starter, just as I said. Everett is simply not that good that getting him in the lineup is going to be a priority. Thomas will be dh'ing, not playing the field. That does not put a lot of pressure on that ankle. It is not going to keep him from dhing two or three times a week.
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MMoNeY24 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:11 pm

I almost guarantee you that Frank Thomas will be an every day player. Doesn't matter if Guillen doesn't like him and whether or not Everett's doing good, I remember Guillen saying it doesn't matter because you can't just sit a guy like Frank Thomas.

Btw, I'll give you old, but fat?

He's ripped, look at his arms and chest.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -73)

Postby bselig » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:19 pm

yea, mentioned in my first post that figuring out when everett will play could be annoying; he's strong but fatter than the average player...the will be a lot of weight on that ankle
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers