anyone heard any news about rivera?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LBJackal » Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:19 pm

rmeesig wrote:
LBJackal wrote:2001: 9.26
2002: 8.02
2003: 9.02
2004: 7.55

That may not be a huge decline, but it's definately a decline. When you're already low to begin with, dropping another .5 K/9 while your BB/9 is getting higher is cause for concern. You can talk about career numbers and how he isn't far below them, but when you're looking at a declne you don't look at career numbers, you look at their recent career. 35 may not mean that he's going to be done soon, but it's certainly not peak age by any means, especially for a guy who essentially only throws a fastball. He's still very good, just not as good as he was before. Nobody was pwned.

2003 was actually 8.02

One could argue that 2001 was an aberration as he's never hit 9 for his K/9 in his career as a closer. A better comparison would be years vs career avg. Like I said before, his career avg is 8.01...the 2004 rate of 7.55 is less than 1/2 of one K/9!! How is that considered "scary decline"???

BTW - his BB/9 has always been right around 2. He actually bounces back and forth from 1.5ish to 2.25ish every alternating year. Hard to say which way he's going, but his 2.29 last year was lower than his career avg of 2.43

Not trying to show anyone up, but if you post garbage, I'm going to call you out on it.

The stats don't lie....

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/ ... vera.shtml

"if you post garbage, I'm going to call you out on it."

LMAO.... I put a 9 in by mistake, should have been an 8.

9+, down to 8+ for 2 years, and then down to 7+ the next year. This is what we call a decline. You can't just look at career averages and say he's only declined a bit. Eric Gagne's career K/9 is 10.3 but if he was "only" 0.5 below that you don't think people would call that a decline? If he wasn't well above his career average his owners would be very concerned.

I think people are getting a bit carried away with their defense of Rivera. It's not like he's garbage, he's just not the pitcher he used to be. I'm sure his K/9 will be at or above last year's, because I can't imagine a power closer getting by with a K/9 that low. But he's going to have to nibble more to do it, which will lead to more hitters counts and more walks.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -178)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Shamsky69 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:00 am

rmeesig wrote:if you post garbage, I'm going to call you out on it.

didn't you you mean to say:

"If you post with even the slightest exaggeration with regards to Rivera's undeniably declining ability, I'm going to try my absolute hardest to show you up because I'm a complete and total HOMER."

sorry, couldn't resist....

:-b
Shamsky69
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby RugbyD » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:24 pm

though i still stand by my previous arguments being totally logical and legitimate for concern, I'll have you all know that I have been on a vigourous stretching program since the ASB so that be year-end I can fully instert my foot in my mouth all the way up to the heel for declaring that Rivera was going to be a 2nd-tier closer this year. !+) :-[ :-P
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: -2)

Postby blankman » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:27 pm

:-b :-b :-b

That's pretty hilarious.

Good sport ;-D

You weren't the only one wrong about him though.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)

Postby Strasil42 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:33 pm

This thread was hilarious.

thanks for the laughs.

i even found a new quote for my sig.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -53)

Postby blankman » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:41 pm

Strasil42 wrote:This thread was hilarious.

thanks for the laughs.

i even found a new quote for my sig.

Thats just mean :-b
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers