Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sell High Candidates

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Laean » Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:54 pm

great gretzky wrote:brian roberts is not a sell high candidate -- unless you get overwhelmed for him.

the reason is, I would think most drafted him for a healthy steals total, which he will most certainly get, and an avg that is satisfactory. any doubt he will hit .275 wiht 30 steals? I don't.

however, all of these extra stats, while being gravy are definitely helping your squad.

I think he is the type of player you don't bother trading, at least until you realize 60 percent or so of the value you originally projected him for yet find someone who is paying the price he is currently producing at.

Otherwise, it undermines your orignial strategy. if he keeps it up for half a season -- you reap the benefit you already drafted him for -- then you upgrade.

If the bottom falls out, he still gets the steals you projected him for.

I doubt anyone gives you top 3 rounds of value for him, yet I don't see why he couldn't be worth aa 4th or 5th round pick -- and at that rate, he still will have exceeded the value most assigned to him.

I think the best sell high guys are the ones who are more peripheral to your oringinal strategy, like OF's who perform higher than expected, or pitchers.

I was the last to draft a 2b in my keeper league (9 teams, small granted) and I can't think of a single reason to move him.

it all just depends on what you get in return for him. no one's saying sell brian roberts high for podsednik or anything. but if it's carl crawford/ichiro/marcus giles you're being offered, you'd be dumb not to take it.

i don't think burnett is a sell high.

burrell's time to sell high has passed.

my sell highs are:

willis
lyon
batista
redman
kent
garland
pavano
b roberts
burnitz
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Punisher » Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:57 pm

Nice list but why sell Redman high? He is not even owned in most leagues
Screw the Peavy and Burnett Watches, I'm probably one of the laziest people in the world
The Punisher
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -63)

Postby wannabthechamp » Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:17 pm

jbones733 wrote:Burrell i think was a week 1 candidate now hes looking like Burrell again

I agree, in Week 2 I was able to deal Burrell for Halladay. I consider this a pretty good sell high deal.
"I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany. - Ron Burgundy
wannabthechamp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Punisher » Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:20 pm

;-D nice one wannab, I screwed some guy last year when Burrell was near the end of his midseason hot streak by trading just him away for Rollins, Castillo, and Kearns
Screw the Peavy and Burnett Watches, I'm probably one of the laziest people in the world
The Punisher
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -63)

Postby Nemo » Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:25 pm

wannabthechamp wrote:
jbones733 wrote:Burrell i think was a week 1 candidate now hes looking like Burrell again

I agree, in Week 2 I was able to deal Burrell for Halladay. I consider this a pretty good sell high deal.

sweet!
Nemo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby cnt » Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:28 pm

I sold Lyon and Wilkerson high. Got me Billy Wagner. Not bad for a WW pick-up in Lyon and a bench player on my team in Wilkerson. I realize Wagner is an injury risk, but when healthy he is a top 5 closer.

Other Sell highs

Floyd
D. Young
Willis
Garland (IF you can find someone who believes in his start)
cnt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Steelers Rule » Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:43 pm

kingctb27 wrote:Two Words.......Brett Myers.

yes sell him :-D
Steelers Rule
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -22)

Postby Honus » Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:10 pm

As a point of reference, I got Teixera (or however you spell it) and Armando Benitez for Andruw Jones and Brian Roberts. I thought that was a pretty good trade until two days later when Benitez got hurt. Point is, you CAN get 2-4th round talent for Roberts.
We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out. Decca Recording, 1962
New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed, without any other reason but because they are not already common. John Locke
Fortune favors the bold. Virgil
Honus
College Coach
College Coach

Postby great gretzky » Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:25 pm

the only problem with some of these deals, is they require you to sacrifice the sb's that brian gets.

I'm sorry -- not taking marcus giles for roberts at the present time. What is it exactly that giles represents that roberts isn't providing right now?

Obviously, if you are getting steals back, it is a different situation. so yea, take an ichiro, crawford etc.

unless you want to change tactics, hold. but if you can totalyl change tactics and win, then by all means taker a teixera.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -7)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers