Return to Baseball Leftovers

Baez to the Rangers?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby slomo007 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:39 pm

GameOn wrote:That would be the worst deal for the Rangers. A top pitching prospect for a decent bullpen guy...they can find someone else out there for much less than Danks. Don't do it John!

The market for solid setup men/closers is EXTREMELY high right now, if they want to get one and compete this year, they'll have to give up someone great. I don't have a problem with it...I would prefer to move a young hitter instead of young pitcher, as the Rangers have enough hitting anyways...but sometimes you have to bite the bullet.

I'm not saying I want to see this deal go through, but it wouldn't be that bad. At least if the Rangers did it, and still fell out of the race...they could trade Baez again at the deadline to a contending team. Who knows, they may end up getting more in return.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GameOn » Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:58 pm

slomo007 wrote:
GameOn wrote:That would be the worst deal for the Rangers. A top pitching prospect for a decent bullpen guy...they can find someone else out there for much less than Danks. Don't do it John!

The market for solid setup men/closers is EXTREMELY high right now, if they want to get one and compete this year, they'll have to give up someone great. I don't have a problem with it...I would prefer to move a young hitter instead of young pitcher, as the Rangers have enough hitting anyways...but sometimes you have to bite the bullet.

I'm not saying I want to see this deal go through, but it wouldn't be that bad. At least if the Rangers did it, and still fell out of the race...they could trade Baez again at the deadline to a contending team. Who knows, they may end up getting more in return.

A Player like Danks should only be traded for a player of the likes of Beltran or something. Is Baez going to help the Rangers win the World Series? HECK NO! So why blow the future on him? The Rangers have plenty of good pitching in the minors...they can always promote Ricardo or Juan Dominguez to pitch in the bullpen. Almanzar and Frank Francisco are a perfect example that relief pitching is just a crapshoot. Promote guys from AAA until you find a good one...someone will pan out. I guarantee you that you can find someone in the minors who is just as good as Baez.
GameOn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -6)

Postby GameOn » Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:59 pm

it should also be noted that this whole thing about Danks was just in the comment from RotoWorld. Therefore, I would not put a lot of stock in it because they usually just pull stuff out of thin air.
GameOn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -6)

Postby agchris02 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:20 pm

I REALLY REALLY doubt the rangers would trade for baez for dank, that aside I CAN see them acquiring another MR guy or setup guy, with frankie francisco gone for the year (TJ surgery), they need the help, they had been looking foward to having him back. Baez would be a great setup man, but not at that price. I can see them going and getting someone though
Jackalope
agchris02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Punisher » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:26 pm

Ha if that happened the D Rays would once again be getting stacked with awesome pitching prospects, and Danks is pretty much a top one
Screw the Peavy and Burnett Watches, I'm probably one of the laziest people in the world
The Punisher
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -63)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers