Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ryan Freel

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ryan Freel

Postby bdrotoronto » Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:06 pm

I started this guy on a hunch today just b/c I'm so ticked with Mike Lowell.. three stolen bases today!!! :-D ;-D That's almost like half of my team's output for the entire season! Why oh why does this guy not play every day? It would make my life so much easier. Is he not significantly better than that other 2B they have Jimenez who is hitting like .206 or something? Anybody know?..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -32)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stevethumb » Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:22 pm

today's game (even tho' they lost) shows you how freel can help...he went 0 for 3 but had 2 walks and 3 SBs and disrupted the reds pitchers/catcher so that the hitters following hit HRs w/him on base..he should be playing somewhere every day
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -84)

Postby Steelers Rule » Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:43 pm

;-D
Steelers Rule
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -22)

Postby swyck » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:41 pm

I dont get it. What's this love affair with D'Angelo Jimenez all about?

Is Freel a liability in the field and Jimenez a vacuum cleaner? That's the only reason that I can see for not starting Freel. That is something that we forget about in fantasy baseball, but its not readily apparent from seeing the boxscores. If the guys got no glove then he can't play regular 2b, case closed.

I drafted him late in one league but had to drop him since he was never playing. THen he went on a tear, getting a lot of action, and now he's apparently riding the pine again. He's doing great, and he did fine last year. I just don't understand whats the story here. Is this something that Reds fans can shed some light on? Does Jimenez have more upside?
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 12)

Postby slomo007 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:48 pm

swyck wrote:I dont get it. What's this love affair with D'Angelo Jimenez all about?

Is Freel a liability in the field and Jimenez a vacuum cleaner? That's the only reason that I can see for not starting Freel. That is something that we forget about in fantasy baseball, but its not readily apparent from seeing the boxscores. If the guys got no glove then he can't play regular 2b, case closed.

I drafted him late in one league but had to drop him since he was never playing. THen he went on a tear, getting a lot of action, and now he's apparently riding the pine again. He's doing great, and he did fine last year. I just don't understand whats the story here. Is this something that Reds fans can shed some light on? Does Jimenez have more upside?

A few reasons why Freel hasn't been (and may not be) handed the full-time 2b job:

1) Jimenez sees a lot of pitches from the lead off slot, thus helping the entire lineup.

2) Jimenez is the better defender

3) Freel is valuable off the bench because he can play 2b, SS (in emergency), 3b, LF, RF, CF...while Jimenez can only play the infield positions
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Postby AKhomebrewer » Sun May 01, 2005 3:05 am

Thanks for the insight, slomo.
I've been riding a rocky MIF carousel this month, and grabbed Freel at the height of his 7-game hitting streak ... at which point he was promptly benched for three games so Jimenez could go 0-for-whatever. Happy to get those three steals last night, but it would sure be nice if he'd get a daily job somewhere.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -7)

Return to Baseball Leftovers