Return to Baseball Leftovers

HOT DEBATE..NEED SOME HELP

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

HOT DEBATE..NEED SOME HELP

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:16 pm

Our league in a hot debate over how trades should be processed and the veto process.

I am looking for some people provide me with good info three things.

1. What are the pros to having a trade approval process?

2. What are the cons to having a trade approval process?

3. What are some effective systems for processing trades?

PLEASE help me out guys. I need some serious feeback because three owners are going to quit our money league over their trades getting vetoed and I need some ideas quick
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -146)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GiantFan666 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:39 pm

Pro's of having approval process- severely limits issues of collusive trading,
Con's - People w/ an axe to grind w/ another manager can ote to veto the trade anonymously out of spite. or vote to veto any trade
due to haing some of his trades vetoed previously

3. effective way of having trades processed- have a commish next year! some of the leagues I've been in have it setup so that if enough people send complaints to the commish he will talk w/ both owners about the trade to see if its legit and either approve or veto the trade... and then all trades involving commish team are put up to league vote
GiantFan666
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -193)

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:41 pm

Good feedback.. Any more?
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -146)

Postby Mustangs989 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:45 pm

This is what my Cafe league (Funky 14) does. From the Rules thread...

If there is a trade made and you feel that there might be collusion, make a post here (We will add a Trades thread when the time comes) and ask for both parties to justify their positions. After this process, if you feel their reasoning is bogus, and there was indeed collusion, vote to veto here. It takes 5 votoes to get is sent to the commissioner where he will further discuss with the owners their reasoning and make an informed decision on the matter. If 8 vetoes are collected (majority) it's vetoed outright. Vetoes are only to be used when there is clear collusion. If there is any sort of defensible claim (even if its misguided), veto power should not and must not be used.
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -52)

Postby Nemo » Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:09 pm

You have to have trade veto power, especially in a money league, especially if it's real money. You should be able to vote for a veto, but it shouldn't be anonymous. Vetos should only be for collusion, not for helping out someone stupid, unless you've got a rookie or someone who obviously doesn't care (which is easy to spot). But you shouldn't have either of those in a money league.
Nemo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dannahann » Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:28 pm

First, you all need to CLEARLY spell out the trade approval/rejection process (whatever it is) and get your owners to agree to it. This really should be done before any trades happen.

Second, (if you decide on votes) MAKE SURE THE VOTES ARE ARE PUBLICLY POSTED. Guys who veto everything that doesn't suit their own agendas soon realize they are burning their own bridges for any future trading partners. :-o

Third, I've found that the trading process works better if it's THE VETOING OWNERS, (rather than the traders) THAT ARE FORCED TO PUBLICALLY DEFEND WHY THEY VOTED TO VETO :-? Just stating "I would've given more" is NOT a valid reason. :-t
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 7)

Postby agchris02 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:18 pm

It should have been done before the year, but even in my leagues where we have a veto process (which I think you should have), we have a vote limit (normally MORE than 4 objections in a 12 team league), but even IF it gets veto, a commish can approve the trade, as long as he's not involved (why we have two people with commish powers). If both commish's are involved and a trade gets vetoed, well its never happened, but I think it would go through if they both agreed to it.

There was a thread on this a couple days ago....
Jackalope
agchris02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RHobbs » Sun May 01, 2005 9:52 am

The commissioner needs to be involved to settle the disputes fairly after hearing from all teams who want to voice an opinion. Vetoes should definitely be made public - too many teams have an ax to grind because their trade wasn't accepted by the team involved in the current trade. If the trade makes sense for the teams involved, they will have no problem justifying their reasons. The same should apply to anyone trying to veto the trade - their arguments need to be valid and reasonable as well. :~(
"I'm trying to announce my presence with authority" - Nuke LaLouche
RHobbs
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby stevethumb » Sun May 01, 2005 10:28 am

Mustangs989 wrote:This is what my Cafe league (Funky 14) does. From the Rules thread...

If there is a trade made and you feel that there might be collusion, make a post here (We will add a Trades thread when the time comes) and ask for both parties to justify their positions. After this process, if you feel their reasoning is bogus, and there was indeed collusion, vote to veto here. It takes 5 votoes to get is sent to the commissioner where he will further discuss with the owners their reasoning and make an informed decision on the matter. If 8 vetoes are collected (majority) it's vetoed outright. Vetoes are only to be used when there is clear collusion. If there is any sort of defensible claim (even if its misguided), veto power should not and must not be used.
excellent post...more leagues should follow this plan..the arbitrary veto rules in most leagues are a joke..let owners run their team unless there is clear collusion
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -84)

Return to Baseball Leftovers