Return to Baseball Leftovers

Tony Pena: A quitter

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby prodpaul » Wed May 11, 2005 4:50 am

Well Pena has some off the field issues apparently as well.

He may be in some legal trouble and topple that with how horrible we are and I am sure it is in the best interest right now they look elsewhere...but where???
Tetelestai
prodpaul
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -177)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby swingaway » Wed May 11, 2005 7:40 am

the boss just bought the royals and now has repleish the yankees farm system :-B Anyways maybe george brett be hired as player coach :-B
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -20)

Postby Box » Wed May 11, 2005 8:11 am

Now if only Baird would quit, we might be getting somewhere. He's the real problem. Whats the only good move he's made? Bring Grienke up from the Minors. Bad? Everything else.

I think Tony was a decent manager, could've been special if we had any continuity and talent on the team. Honestly, take away Grienke and Sweeney and you have a AAA team. And not even a very good one.
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -15)

Postby reznorsboy » Wed May 11, 2005 8:19 am

Why are Rance Mulliniks and Garth Orge not Managing Big league teams? :-b
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -35)

Postby Arrowhead Nation » Wed May 11, 2005 10:21 am

NO.......what we need to do is get DAVID GLASS to sell the TEAM. Pena was inept, even with this cast of low cost characters....was horrible and ito be honest in this area of the country he wasnt the best PR guy as he barely speaks english fluently.

Payroll is @ 36 million, it needs to be frickin at least 50.......Baird has made good deals with what has been given him. Bautista for Grimseley, Jose Bautista for Justin Huber, Beltran for Buck, Teahan and Wood......the thing is........these guys werent all ready for the bigs and they are having to develop on the fly.

Christ sakes, are back end of the bullpen is Burgos, Sisco, Nunez, all under 22. Thats a minor league team.
Arrowhead Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -14)

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed May 11, 2005 10:33 am

The funniest thing in the world was how they reported it on Toronto radio this morning.

First they played the game report. Then they played an interview with Pena where he talks about how great Halladay is and what a stud he is. Then they say "by the way Tony Pena announced his resignation 5 minutes after the interview". :-b
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -414)

Postby bdrotoronto » Wed May 11, 2005 11:27 am

Mookie4Ever wrote:The funniest thing in the world was how they reported it on Toronto radio this morning.

First they played the game report. Then they played an interview with Pena where he talks about how great Halladay is and what a stud he is. Then they say "by the way Tony Pena announced his resignation 5 minutes after the interview". :-b

I heard that too! LOL. :-b That's actually how I found about it.

I'm not so surprised, though. I was at the game on Monday night, and my friend and I left the building just shaking our heads at how truly bad the Royals were, what a bunch of sad sacks, like a Triple A team. The Blue Jays are an average team, and there was no point in the game where we genuinely thought the Royals could make a game of it. Not even when they got the tying run to third at one point. Seeing the Jays walk all over a team like that is not something we're used to seeing around here. The Royals not only looked inferior talent-wise, but they also looked like they weren't even playing hard or with any emotion or interest, which is inexcusable for a team like that. I'm not surprised Tony Pena wouldn't put up with that any more, he was always a fiery and emotional guy himself, that team looked nothing like the way he used to play.

We also left the building shaking our heads at how they could have closed the roof on such a nice evening, but that is a whole other story. :-/
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -32)

Postby Box » Wed May 11, 2005 12:20 pm

Arrowhead Nation wrote:NO.......what we need to do is get DAVID GLASS to sell the TEAM. Pena was inept, even with this cast of low cost characters....was horrible and ito be honest in this area of the country he wasnt the best PR guy as he barely speaks english fluently.

Payroll is @ 36 million, it needs to be frickin at least 50.......Baird has made good deals with what has been given him. Bautista for Grimseley, Jose Bautista for Justin Huber, Beltran for Buck, Teahan and Wood......the thing is........these guys werent all ready for the bigs and they are having to develop on the fly.

Christ sakes, are back end of the bullpen is Burgos, Sisco, Nunez, all under 22. Thats a minor league team.

I agree Glass needs to go, but Pena will end up managing somewhere else. You can't tell me that 2003 team willed itself to 83-79. If you gave Joe Torre or Tony LaRussa these players they'd maybe have 9 wins instead of 8 right now.

In the almighty words of Seinfeld:
Kramer: Well, we've officially bottomed out. Who's our next guest?

Newman: We've got no one!

Kramer: We need a new foreman. We should shut down and retool.
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -15)

Postby logan » Wed May 11, 2005 1:23 pm

interesting lineup today with berroa in the 1 and de jesus in the 2. seems to have paid off so far. i was about ready to cut ties with berroa but i might have to hang onto him for a while if he stays at the top.
logan
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -14)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed May 11, 2005 2:29 pm

Arrowhead Nation wrote:NO.......what we need to do is get DAVID GLASS to sell the TEAM. Pena was inept, even with this cast of low cost characters....was horrible and ito be honest in this area of the country he wasnt the best PR guy as he barely speaks english fluently.

I agree with AN here - new ownership is necessary.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -213)
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers